In Dash CD Players R.I.P.?

In another thread, I alluded to my disappointment in my iPod while driving my motorcyle today.

In the hopeful event that this technology gets much better, do you think CD players for the car might die an untimely death?

With the whole world moving to lousy MP3, it seems that major markets would be more than satisfied by just about anything that held 50 million crappy songs, in their car, their cell phone, the ignition key to their car, a kleenex or something.

I was so bummed on my commute today that I began to fantasize about my old Porsche and Nakamich CD-400, but then wondered if it would go the way of the dinosaur.

What do you think?
cwlondon
I don't think car CD players will be eliminated anytime soon. Lots of people have lots of CDs, and it'll be a long while before everybody's ripped their entire music collection onto an iPod or equivalent. You still need a radio (satellite or standard) and a place to plug your iPod into. Adding a CD player to that costs car companies next to nothing.

Do you really expect to hear high-quality audio on a motorcycle? Cripes, your S/N must be negative!
If you continue to fantasize while commuting by motorcycle, YOU may go the way of the dinosaur. Please be careful, I've been there, done that.
Hell, they still have TAPE DECKS in a lot of new cars. Im sure CD decks will be around a long long time. But im sure more and more of them will be MP3 and XM sattelite.
I'm so frustrated with all the so-called advances in technology that are just steps sideways. I'm going to dig through the garage and find my old 8-track player! To @#&%$ with the new stuff, I'm sticking with the old stand by.