Using a CDP to copy a cd to computer

Anyone tried using a hi fi CDP to copy cds to their computer? It seems like you would get a better "read" with a higher quality cd player. The internal CD drives on computers can't compare to a good CDP. I wonder if a digital "out" jack on a cdp could provide a signal that a computer can accept?

I'm using a iMac G5.

Any thoughts? Experience?
mcmanus
I'm no authority, but I'm not sure that you will get a higher quality copy and think there may be reason to believe that you will get a lower quality burn.

Some of the better quality programs that rip cd's from your internal computer drive to your hard drive can be programmed to get a very accurate read. For example the one I use "Exact Audio Copy" allows the user to slow down the drive and automatically rereads the disk multiple times to ensure a clean burn. It also reports any errors and an overall statistic on the accuracy of the burn. Free program as well.
Hey - another Macy :-) 20 screen, too?
I did what you mentioned in the old Quadra days using a cinch to mini input adaptor. Couldn't hear much of a difference. Maybe the Mac's drive is inferior to a real good drive but what about all those "mini" connectors, flimsy cables and all? I sometimes play back Mac recorded CDs on my Wadia 270/27ix gear and it is just fine, really.
You can't do it digitally anyway from an outboard drive.
Just use your computers cdrom and EAC software, "Exact Audio Copy". Not sure if there is EAC for Mac?

http://etree.org/eac.html

t
Using EAC with a high speed CD-ROM in secured mode will insure 100% accuracy. Any error encounter during the read is verified many times and errored corrected before continuing. I have encountered about 2 out 500 discs that had excessive error that EAC can not correct. It was because the surface was damaged.

Remeber a CD-ROM can easily read up to 40-50x. EAC can do about 6-9X in secured mode using the same CD-ROM.

Reading digital output from CD Player is a single path solution that will result in jitter and many errors. Error correction will help but never elimnated completely. This situation is very different than reading information from an analog source that dictates better mechanism results in better accuracy.
Another vote for EAC here. I've even had it correct flaws in CDs that would otherwise be unplayable.