PC to DAC to PreAmp

Boy do I feel basic in my PC audio knowledge. Yes, I read many of the posts and still not sure that I clearly understand clearly how to get the best sound out of the MP3 (I know, will never get "best sound" out of MP3s) collection on my hard drive. Here's what I'm thinkin':
PC with 13,000 songs on the hard drive (most recorded at 320 bps). Use M-Audio 24/96 sound card to an audiophile Kora Hermes tube DAC. DAC to MacIntosh preamp.
Will this work? and is it a good way to go sonically? Since I'm not very familiar with PC audio, the techincal explanations and equipment in previous posts went way beyond me. Please help. Thanks...Jim
slhijb
You don't really need the DAC or pre-amp. I use an M-audio SB to a pair of monarchy class-A amps. They drive a pair of B&W N805's. I use the winXP volume control as the PRE. Sounds great with CD's and DVD-A's. I don't listen to MP3's because even at 320K they still sound very flat and lifeless. I do about 90% of my listening at my PC while working/surfering. Good luck.
Slhijb:

Yes, your current plan is the best way to get all you can from the MP3s provided your sound card has a digital output. Some sound cards that have a digital output only have it in mini plug form, and not sure what digital cable would go from mini to RCA (certainly there is no fiber cable like that). What I would recommend, and am saving to do for my system, is buy a Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platnium sound card ($200) which has 24/192 DACS and also has a break out box (the Extigy will work but has 24/96 DACs) that allows for fiber or rca style connections. Then you can buy/use a quality cable to make the connection and preserve as much of the signal as possible as it travels from the PC to the DAC. I would also recommend using a fiber cable for very long runs and www.audioadvisor.com last I saw was having a major sale on AudioQuest fiber cables. I think they are 'good' cables.

Matt
Mmomnick,

I had a Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platnnium sound card in my machine breifly. While it was a slight improvement over the original Audigy, I was disappointed with its overall sound quality. I am very happy with my M-Audio sound board. I breifly hooked up an MSD link dac 3 using a miniplug to RCA cable (custom made high quality) and used an Aragon 24K as a Pre-amp. There was a very marginal improvement in sound but all those components were eating up a lot of desk space. As for using fiber cable (toslink) it has the highest jitter rate of all methods which results in data errors and smearing of the music. I would stick to the unbalanced (RCA) connection.