Do true audiophiles own Mcintosh gear

It seems like all the high-end dealers I have bought from or talked to think that Mcintosh is living on it's past reputation. The 2 stores that carry it locally are more mid-fi stores than high-end. I have a friend that swears by it but he hasn't listened to his Mcintosh in over 2 years. What do you think?
taters
Many people follow Mac gear..Like your freind,many swear buy it..I actually think it is a better product today than years ago due to competition..In the past ( years ago ) I always thought they were nice to look at ,but didn't offer anything special for sound..Today may be different,but for my$$$ I think you can do better for the money spent elsewhere..Just my 2 cents......
They are by definition "High End", based on price. I own an old one that synergizes with my vint6age Klipsch speakers very well.
I also own Von Scheickert Vr2s , JM lab Electras, Merlins.and more.... a few amps and ancillary pieces but am I an audiophile? I do have a habit of listen tomusic daily.
It seems your friend does not like music so he is not.
How would you define being an audiophile? If you don't like their amps does that mean they poor amps, there are many other to choose from.Including poorly made non linear ones in High End shops.
Is Gryphon OK? Is Accuphase a little to warm and liked by people not obsessed?
I have 1959 JBL C38s with the 030 driver package.Is that audiophile?
Finally I have found tube amps that make me very happy. I don't think anyone would find them to be midfi sounding if not told what was being played.
Hold on to your hats they are Chinese. -If you think my being a friend of the distributor is a conflict of interest take this with that in mind.- I truly found nirvana undoubtedly for a period of time,in the 4 X 6CA7s per block Cyber 800s by Opera/ Consonance. I just so happen to have bought a Consonance integrated years ago, from a different person.. But is that audiophile? I can't believe they aren't but you might think they can't be! Not enough harcores use them right, maybe they should (Audiofeil here on the gon is the authorized on line dealer. Norvinz also found on Audiogon carries and distributes the Cyber series)
e-mail me

I'd say the short answer is "Yes".

BUT perhaps one should define what is meant here by “True Audiophile” first. Eh?

Are audio nuts, (to supplant the aforementioned), only those who trudge the less traveled path? Buying only the esoteric and eclectic? Dwelling only in the neighborhood of one off makes, and back room productions?

Are they folks who simply pay far more than they should for audio gear, having items in their systems which preclude many from their purchase? I think snob would be a word best served were this purely the case.

Or are Audio nuts simply fanatics? Obsessed human beings which are chronically dissatisfied? Perpetually exchanging this for that and that for this, in order to acquire some perceived greater sonic bliss?

Or merely egomaniacs whose efforts are solely self effacing?

Or are audiophiles, yech, , those people who strive to gain the most performance from their audio systems? Those whose efforts are towards a sound which rivals the actual in it’s reproduction? Could it be they simply take great pride in matching the various aspects of a system to achieve an involving and exciting recreation of the sonic picture? Those people that do as best they can to simply put together something they feel is quite satisfying and enjoyable?

Just how much time, money, and attention to detail does a person have to invest to acquire the moniker ?

Beats me. I didn’t create the word. Nor do I like it’s connotation. Usually. Perhaps the genre should have classes. Some better definition more clearly separating audio hobbyist/enthusiasts into various levels of their neurosis or psychosis. . Like for example, A. A., B. A., & M. A..

The A.A. could be the Accidental Audiophile… which would be those persons who finding themselves in a reflective moment, exclaim, “I sure hadn’t planned on spending that much!”

The B.A. could be the Better than Audiophile that figures whatever winds up in his or her system is just Better than ______ .

The M.A. or Manic Audiophile would then be that group which finds themselves with more funds in their various systems than they have in their car or home.

Lastly, the PhD. A. The Phrustrated Audiophile which spans a broader category and contains those seemingly more experienced folk who contend their now system is not as good as one’s they owned previously and will need a lot more time and money to be ‘just right’!

But on the McIntosh owners being Audiophiles, per se.. Well, brand recognition is a big deal in sales, generally speaking. Brand loyalty is as well. when a maker like Mac has been around as long as they have there’s going to be a large following of previous Mac owners. Huge dealer network, OEM service, and after market resale. All of which keeps the name on many lips.

Audiophile status? Why not? That is always subjective.

I see Mac gear as a safe bet. Good quality. Yet pretty conservative stuff. Certainly in their line are those pieces which constitute high end performance and widespread appeal, and possessing new technology, as well as good build quality. Their availability for service, sales, and even refurbishing of older fare is surely a major statement… but THE preeminent maker of high end audio, and bleeding edge technology? I’d not go that far. A quality item in general? Yes, of course.

I would say this, if I did buy some McIntosh gear, it would be done with a great deal of confidence. I’d also shop around too, as I feel McIntosh is a tad over valued in my opinion, given their price to performance quotient…. But then, these days, what isn’t?

Maybe your friend, the McIntosh owner that isn’t driven to fuss and fiddle with his rig continually, is happy with It as is.

Isn’t that the goal? To wind up with something which needs nothing further to provide one regularly, much, by way of audio satisfaction?

I am envious of your McIntosh owning friend. he's sure saving lots of time and money on gear... and is side stepping the therapists couch too.
McIntosh owners are generally content with their equipment and are relieved to not be on the upgrade merry-go-round. Furthermore, the MC1201, MC501, MDA1000, MS300, MS750, MC275, and C1000 are all considered Best in Class.

This question was discussed here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&964325069&read&keyw&zzmcintosh