CARA - Room Acoustic Software

We're very much not into doing sales-pitch type posts, but after reading through several threads in this forum, we realized that questions regarding software for room acoustics were frequent enough that if we tried to answer every thread, we'd *really* feel obnoxious!

So... the lesser of two evils

CARA is a comprehensive room acoustic modelling package designed and developed by German physicist: Dr. Ulrich Thomanek. Dr. Thomanek worked with ELAC GmbH for many years and used computer models to bring their loudspeakers to be the number two in Germany.

He started ELAC Technische Software as a spinoff dedicated to his computer programs associated with loudspeaker modelling and room acoustics. CARA 2.0 is the product.

Rather than get into too many details here, I'll send you to www.cara.de where they have lots of information regarding CARA and a walkthrough. The site is in both English and German.

Early last year, Rhintek became the US representative for ETS and CARA. We have a strong background in software development, but are relatively new to the high-end audio industry. Our website is: www.rhintek.com

Thanks for your time, I'll probably be lurking around here on occasion as it looks like this forum is a good place for me to gain more understanding.

Kristin VanVranken,
Rhintek Incorporated
kristin3e25
Thanks "Meta" for clarifying the issues. Sounds like this program is REALLY worth the money and FAR more versatile than any of the others. Since your 1 gig puter can do it overnight, my older 200 can probably swing it within 2 - 3 days or so : )

Psychicanimal, what is a GOOD sounding "disco" ??? If you think that nightclubs have "good" sounding audio systems, i can understand why you went with the 1200. I'm not trying to be rude, but there is a BIG difference between what a sound reinforcement type PA system and a home audio system do well. Sean
>
Sean,

How about a club with all Bryston amps and five way amplification, for a start?

Do you know of any in Chicago Metro?

I haven't seen anything that outperforms my home turf, yet...
1. CARA can accommodate open doorways.
2. Unlike most other programs, it can handle non-rectangular rooms.
3. Computation can be long but there are strategies for that.
4. Real measurments are, of course, better but that means moving real objects for the measurements.
5. I did not see any models for Vandersteen but you should check the CARA websites or ask Vandersteen for the info to make your own model.
Psychic, you are comparing apples to zucchinis. The atmosphere, acoustics, goals, etc... of a nightclub sound system are VERY different from that of a true "high fidelity" reproduction system. Regardless of the brands used in either, the nightclub will have very poor resolution, lack detail, offer very irregular frequency response ( on purpose ), will not offer any type of soundstage or imaging, etc... whereas a good home system will do all of these with ease. After all, what kind of midrange can you get out of a 12" or 15" JBL woofer in a front loaded horn ??? Sean
>
Sean, I've been wanting to start a thread on high performance discotheques. There is much to be learned. I learned a lot from one audio salesman who worked for the same company I did back in 1982-83. He was an opera and classical freak, but started his own business setting up incredible high performance discos. His home system consisted of a Linn Sondek w/Monster Alpha, Klyne SK-5A pre, Conrad Johnson tube power amp, Proac super tablettes and a Janis 12" sub. His objective, as he taught me, was to replicate as much as possible that sound in a club. It worked.

To start with, discos are run mono. A good EQ-ing job will be done by EAR with a 31 band EQ, when the club is packed (this guy told me he took acid before doing such a job!)...so much for overemphasizing frequencies. The curves are very gentle, by the way. The EQ-ing is for flatness, man. The sound will be five way, so you will have tweeters, midranges, mid-bass (~250 Hz, for PUNCH), woofers and subwoofers. Yes, you can get great sound. Liberating the drivers an the amps by doing this on a five way system has an unbelievable effect on sound quality. So much for the schools that teach 'start at the source' or 'start with the speakers'. Has to be experienced for anyone to become a convert.

Regards,