Isolation vs. Absorbtion

I am new to the audiophile hobby, and I am confused by what appears to be subjectivity and contradictions. When "mounting" a cd player and other components, is it best to use Soft Pads which ISOLATE vibration and RETAIN internal component vibration, OR is it best to use Hard Cones, which DRAIN (harmful) component vibrations into shelf material. Secondly, is it best to attach shelving to racks so that shelving makes Direct (hard) Contact - OR, should the shelving be Isolated from rack? Is there a scientific, indisputable answer?
128x128equa
"Ringing" is a myth.
Unless you plan to practice drumming on your stand during listening sessions, "ringing" DOES NOT OCCUR in a metal framed stand.What a rigid,spiked metal framed rack does do is to lower vibrational amplitude via the small points of contact with high energy sources providing an energy/vibration bottleneck.The natural resonant characteristic of steels will filter the energy into relatively high, primarily even order frequency bands that the shelf material and component "suspension" can more easily damp.Adding mass and damping material only provides the energy a storage medium where those energies are re-released back into the system at unpredicatable low frequency rates and over a longer timeframe, thus imposing itself into the music for a longer period before decaying and having greater power to disrupt component operation and the musical signal.Low frequencies have enormous power and cannot be stopped regardless of the amount of mass or type of damping material used.The remedy is to have structure that does not couple well to those frequency rates, hence the need for low mass design.
Stands from reputable manufacturers such as Standesign, Apollo,Mana, Audiotech, Sound Organisation, Target,etc., all accomplish the task very well. Their primary disadvantage has always stemed from the relatively simple shelving required to meet a broad market pricepoint rather than any imagined "ringing' problem.
Best,
Ken
GreaterRanges/Neuance
Hi Ken: So is that a yes on the metal "L" bar approach? Riveteer does actually ring just like a "bad" bell (I have done my fair share of Quasimoto impressions while putting it up and taking it down), but this is reduced when it is solidly locked together and would probably be reduced even further if welded into one piece. Tubular steel (when not tuned to do so) has less sustain than "L" bar but I do not feel like working with tubes. I have worked with both in my youth as a metal worker and later as a grocer. From what you and RedKiwi mention about mass though it seems that I would be better of with something smaller scale and lighter than Riveteer, which would be easier for me to work with as I do not intend on using power tools other than a drill. It would have more spring to it, whether this would be good or bad.
Hi Dekay,
Mana Acoustics,argueably the best built traditional style ferrous stand on the market(glass shelf character notwithstanding) uses an open L construction as well.There is an advantage to using open constructions rather than tubular and that is in reduction of "chamber" resonances.I consider this type of energy transfer relatively benign but they do impact on the ultimate effectivenss of the stand to a small degree(Somewhere recently Redkiwi stated his own findings that would seem to support this).Your approach should mostly be concerned for structural rigidity(particularly in the lateral/diagonal and a relatively low overall mass.
A little damping goes a very long ways to controlling any frequency related spikes by the strategic application of a small blob of blu tac to the legs/crossmembers or an inch or so of non clumping kitty litter/sand in a tubular construction stand.
Best,
Ken
Time will tell Caterhaml! As People get exposed to new things opinions change and past knowlede becomes just that.
Keep an open mind you might be supprised what technology brings to our small world.
Dr A,
I keep hearing mention of these fabulous technologies and for some curious reason,they are always linked to Systrum/Audiopoint products.
Would you explain what is new or radical about the principles involved or even just the basic concepts behind the product?
The Systrum looks like a decent rapid evacuation device but I see absolutely nothing to indicate any major advancement or breakthru technology.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I would LOVE to discuss isolation theory with you.
;^)
Best,
Ken
GreaterRanges/Neuance