New Visitor Confused Over Upgrade

I found this website hoping to compare technical specifications between my Carver receiver and a newer model by Bang & Olufson. As the quoted total harmonic distortion and signal to noise ratio of the Carver is very low, I didn't think that new equipment would add any discernible benefit, at least not enough to justify the considerable difference in price. I am finding a lot of your posts more confusing than informative. As a professional person (not to brag but I make six figures) who has completed post graduate level correspondance courses in EE and knows how to solder, a lot of your posts about tube amps (obselete!) and wires (commodity?) etc. just don't really make sense. In addition to the Carver, I am using a Sony Disc Jockey and I have JBl speakers which are very accurate (used as monitors in many recording studios) and very revealing about associated components. You guys should really learn a little more about how electronics really work before posting such definitive opinions which could mislead new people looking for guidance.
peter_everington9f8b
Blimey, mate. You are really off the wall. Carver is the kind of equipment we toss away. Tubes are not obsolete, but you may be if you think that an EE has any relevance to high-end audio. You have come to the right site if you are willing to learn, otherwise try: www.EE's R Us. Com
i wanted to post a derogatory comment, but thankfully my fellow Audiogoners have “taken care of business”! get the heck off the board, man!
Peter, You need to go to a high end store and listen to some tube amps. Bring your Carver unit with you and compare. Then come back here and tell us what you think.
Peter if indeed your post is sincere which at this point is suspect, you need to throw out your preconceived notions of what is obsolete, wire is a commody, what is accurate and what you think you know about how things sound based on your EE degree and take Jsbail's advice and do some serious listening at a Hi-End shop. Discovering well-reproduced audio for the first time can be an enlightening experience. It appears that to date you haven't.