Shelf Material - Neuance

I started a thread a month or so ago trying to find opinions on the best shelf material. I got some good new ideas, and tried them all out - except one, Maple Butchers Block. McMaster did not reply to my emails concerning Maple Butchers Block - not unusual, I have found many US companies turn a deaf ear to anyone from another country. I did try some local butchers block - stips of heart timber glued together, and the spectral balance was very good, but pace was poor. If Maple is better then it must be much lighter than what I was using (Weight = energy storage = poor pace). The best I tried was a very classy looking Neuance shelf, which you can find out about at www.neuanceaudio.com. I think subaruguru was also trying one and so it will be interesting to see what he thinks. It has a sound, but one that is difficult to pin down. It did not work well on my transport, flattening mid-range images for some reason, but worked well on everything else. I will order some more and therefore be able to get a better measure of its performance, and will try again with the transport (I have since learnt that I should not have used up-turned spikes). The Neuance is fast, it almost spotlights mid-range detail (you hear everything a vocalist is doing), it is very extended top and bottom. It might have a tad too much warmth in the lower mids and upper bass, but I am not sure yet. I love the way pianos sound with it - very much like the real thing (my daughter plays piano and so I hear it every day) - no exagerated presence, but all the natural harmonics of a real piano. I find it works best resting on small 1mm thick hard rubber pads, on a sand filled steel rack, with Vibrapods between shelf and component. I did not particularly like up-pointed spikes underneath it when I tried it but will experiment some more when I have some more Neuance shelves - it is hard to get the full measure of this shelf when I have only one. But I suspect this really is very close to an ideal shelf - very light, very rigid, no noticeable resonances - as I am using it at present. If, like me, you have been looking for a top quality shelf, then the Neuance is well worth a try. My only relationship to Neuance is that the man behind it offered me this ex-demo one for the cost of freight in response to my original post. When I order the next three shelves from him I will be offering to pay more generously for the first one.
redkiwi
Sam: What is the price range for Symposium? Neuance is around $150.00 per shelf.
Dave here is Symposium site with lots of info, www.symposiumusa.com/index.html The "shelf" has been
replaced I see now by "svelte platform" it has been over a year since I last purchased but price was similar to Nueance. Check out the "super platform" for ultra high end gear, considered SOA in shelf/platforms. I purchased mine from Cable Co, they had it shipped direct from Symposium and it arrive in a few days.
Thanks Sam: I need to hone my search skills. Looks like US customers can deal direct, which is always nice.
Megasam - what is the approx weight of the Symposium shelf. From what I have heard it seems to have a damping strategy, but just how light/rigid is it? I have the impression that it is perhaps medium mass, between the Neuance and the BDR or Polycrystal.
Red, for the 19x14 "svelte shelf" they list the weight as 7#, they have thicker heavier models also. Surface is brushed stainless top and bottom with various layers/densities of foam between.

www.symposiumusa.com/svelte.html