Tubes - Top hats, and Tube socks

Tubes - Top hats, and Tube socks, Do either of these work? Is one better than the other? This is for a preamp(6DJ8) application. Where can they be purchased?
miketw
My experience in a Jadis JP80 and JA80s, using the devices on 12AX7s, 12AU7's and 6DJ8s, was that the Top Hat's did a better job, focusing the images a little better. The differences between the two weren't earthshaking, but definitely in favor of the Top Hats, to my ears. They can make the sound a shade leaner as they dampen vibrations, but nothing objectionable. The things are pretty expensive, though, for what they do; a problem of high tooling costs and small sales volume, I guess. See if you can try before you buy, or get a money back trial. I think you can buy them direct from the manufacturer, Right Way Manufacturing (they may advertise in Stereophile, possibly in the classifieds--they also advertize Suspendors); otherwise, you can contact Andy Bouwman at Vintage Tube Services (616-454-3467), and I believe John Ruttan at Audio Connection also carries them. Hope this helps.
For me the best bang for the buck is Audio Research tube rings. Less hastle,only 5 bucks ea.and easy to apply.
I have tube socks, top hats, and tube rings. They all work, but the top hats are the best. Also the most expensive. Hard to tell the difference between the socks and the rings. The rings are by far the most cost effective. But hey! This is high-end audio. Who cares about money! I just ordered some of the brass tube dampers from Andy at Vintage for my 6SN7s. Hope they work as good as the top hats for octal tubes.
Top hats are very effective, but that does not mean it will sound better. In preamp tubes a smidge of microphony can lead to a sense of "air" and with dampers the midband can harden up. So try it both ways as every tube and every situation is different. Don't assume anything. We go naked here.