Shelf Material

I have tried so many different shelf materials, and some are better than others, but I feel like I am just spraying bullets that always miss the bulls-eye. So far, I cannot live with the brightness of glass, the ringing of marble or granite, the sluggishness of acrylic, the muddiness of mdf etc. Light and rigid seems better than heavy and dense - in that I can live with the downsides more easily. I use heavily constructed welded steel racks - spiked to the floor and upward spikes supporting the shelves - and I reckon this is right. I like the way bladder products get rid of the resonances that plague shelves, but find that the way they slow down the pace of the music is hard to accept. Does anyone have some answers on this?
redkiwi
Redkiwi: Are the Corian platforms still suspended (hanging) or are they on stationary supports? I am losing track at this point. Also, whether stationary or suspended are the Pods sandwiched between the Corian and your components? I do not know how much time Craig at Vibrapods has to spare but I will let him know about this thread as he may want to play as well.
Redkiwi: I.m shocked, shocked and dismayed that you would flaunt the advice of E.I. duPont deNemours in your cavalier treatment of their material. It should come as no surprise to you that I have already given your name to them. Please, no protestations, you have brought the consequences upon yourself! And if you can resist the temptation to sit on your countertops, errr, shelves, I'm glad to hear they can take the weight.
RedKiwi: Are you using the 'pods under the component, or under the shelf? IF under the component, this leads me to believe that you should (sorry) try the same combination of 'pods that you have found to be optimised to your gear with the other shelf materials, if you want to be sure that the shelf is playing as large a role as you believe. It's just the scientist in me, baby. IF you are using the 'pods under the shelf itself, wouldn't it be possible to build a really dead and heavy rack (what we all need, with our gear strewn about the floor) and then use the pod scheme to decouple the shelf and component from the rack?
Thanks Kitch29 and Redkiwi for the discussion of Corian-- sounds like it's a bitch to work with, and probably best to get it pre-cut to size by the pros. Has anyone used plain ol' formica on MDF? And maybe with formica also on the bottom of the MDF? Cheers. Craig
Dekay, right now they are still suspended and I prefer them that way. Yes the Vibrapods are sandwiched between the Corian and the component. Ghthirteen, I have tried the Vibrapods with other shelves made of glass, marble, perspex and mdf and found them to be inferior to using Townshend Seismic Sinks every time, and even when not using the sinks I have preferred BDR cones over Vibrapods with mdf. But BDR cones do not work so well with shelves like marble, perspex or Corian. [I actually have other cones from Walker, Golden Sound and others but these posts are long enough without describing them as well.] This is the first time I have liked the Vibrapods over everything else. In other applications I have considered them good value for money only. You may be right in suggesting massive and dead and then use the Vibrapods. I think massive and dead works best with a concrete floor, but that light and rigid is best with a floppy floor ie. wood. Kitch29 - I hope my offence isn't extraditable. I actually had no problem drilling holes in the Corian (for the suspension trick), but cutting is probably a whole other matter. I got mine by making it plain my application was an engineering one, not to make my own bench tops, and enquired about off-cuts - but I know what you mean about licensed fabricators. Garfish, I have tried mdf with a veneer that is half way between melamine and formica. It was not bad and worked well with cones. But in anyguise I have never been thrilled by the muddiness of mdf.