3-D Imaging: How??

I'm finally satisfied with my current system, except for one thing: it is absolutely 2 dimensional except with a few discs in which you get a little depth. I have: Rega Planet, CJ PV11L, McCormack DNA.5, B&W Nautilus 805s. Interconnects are TARA Labs Master Gen 2, speaker cable is Audioquest SA-40 (hyper pure silver) on top, CV-4 on bottom(the CV-4 actually compares well to other cables I have tried) All equipment sits on marble slabs that are "tip-toed" to the concrete below my carpet. I'm using an Isobar Surge protector on the CD and Preamp, with a Sonic Horizons Daybreak power cord directly into the wall on the amp. The room is about 12" by 13", but I have a totally dedicated room with a good nearfield setup. Why is my sound 2-D?? Thanks guys!!
gthirteen
Thanks for the help, guys!! I was hoping (NOT hoping, actually) to get equipment recommendations, i.e. "I've had the Rega Planet, and it sucked compared to the Widget 3000". I'm going to build some Argent Roomlens clones, in addition to trying my Profoam on the front and rear walls. (side walls are not coming into play) The music I listen to, I realize, might not have the depth info that I am looking for. However, WHat I did not reveal beforehand, is that in my last apartment, I had a much larger listening room, with a pair of Hales Rev 3s. WHile tonally, the Hales are quite similar to the Nautilus 805s, in that they both sound really natural and fairly neutral (805's lack of lowest octave noted). The soundstage is soooo much better, as is the top end, with the Nautilus. However, in the big room, I got TONS of depth, the speakers were about the same distance from the front wall, but the listening position was about 6 feet further from the plane of the speakers. THIS is what I believe to be the problem, but I didn't want to suggest this initially. Being in research (professionally), I didnt want to "corrupt" my "data". Any of you getting lots of depth in a small room???
Tricky G huh.... Kidding aside G, my former room was awfully small (more related to listening chamber perhaps) and was only through wall+floor+ceiling treatment that I got some decent reproduction. The room was so limited that I had to compensate heavyly If you treat your rear wall properly you might reach a good compromise by having a longer distance to speakers without too much rear wall effect.... Hope you get it better, keep us posted
the room *is* the single most important piece of audio equipment, imho! ;~) in your case, it's *especially* important to get it right cuz 12x13 is on the small size. there *are* some speakers designed for nearfield listening, but i've no experience w/them... doug
I think other guys wrote enough to achieve 3D which I beli eve the most difficult part of hi-end. They are right, most of the recordings do not have dept concern, you need test recordings to critisize your system. You have good equipments but what I experienced is the equipments theirselves are not enough for having 3D. You need to hardly tweak your system and tune your room acoustics otherwise no 3D regardless of equipment. Let me summarize what worked well with me 1-Better power cables (powersnake sidewinder is very highly recommended) 2-Painting CD edges with green pen 3-Jitter filter as Monarch DIP or digital lens (if you use Transport+DAC) 4-MIT Cables, they throw 3D much more than the others (But minimum MH750 and MI330 series, not below series) 5-Keeping speaker cables 20 cm away than floor. 6-Power conditioner (No isolation transformer models for power amps) 7-Polarity check of AC plugs. (If you look at the front face of computer kind plug , the right hole should be (+) allways. 8-RPG Flattfusors for side walls and back wall 9-Keeping speakers 50 cm above of floor with fully spikes 10-Keeping speaker as recommended as by the back wall 11-Test signals CD to indentify the listening position ans room resonances 12-Sorbothane/Vibrapod/Spikes underneath of equipments 13-Bricks over the equipments 14-Bass traps 15-Heavy speaker stands The list continues like that Good luck.. [email protected]
Get ASC traps, even the "nearfield" in a room that small will have reflections that are just too loud in level, and too early in time. They smooth out and extend the bass very well also. If I'm wrong, why do most hi-fi show exhibits use them? If you heard my system in either my smaller or larger rooms, you'd understand IMO.