3-D Imaging: How??

I'm finally satisfied with my current system, except for one thing: it is absolutely 2 dimensional except with a few discs in which you get a little depth. I have: Rega Planet, CJ PV11L, McCormack DNA.5, B&W Nautilus 805s. Interconnects are TARA Labs Master Gen 2, speaker cable is Audioquest SA-40 (hyper pure silver) on top, CV-4 on bottom(the CV-4 actually compares well to other cables I have tried) All equipment sits on marble slabs that are "tip-toed" to the concrete below my carpet. I'm using an Isobar Surge protector on the CD and Preamp, with a Sonic Horizons Daybreak power cord directly into the wall on the amp. The room is about 12" by 13", but I have a totally dedicated room with a good nearfield setup. Why is my sound 2-D?? Thanks guys!!
gthirteen

Showing 3 responses by sol322

Gthirteen: You have a very good quality system that I'm sure should be able to provide a good soundstage including front to back layering. The same question arises in my mind on how close to front wall do you have them. A friend of mine has 805's and has them 8 feet from front wall with good results (larger room though), and yours? What about toe-in? Second is accoustics do you have racks or anything between the speakers? Have you treated accoustically the front wall? Share more details
I follow Sedond recommendation and also check ceiling, side walls and floor. Don't get me wrong but consider the check list: floor (carpeted spiked stand?, blue tack fixing speakers to stands. In my case which is totally different the better (solid coupling) the stands and speakers are (one on top of the other and to the floor) the best response. How about components rack position in 100 HZ tone null point in my room has worked the best..... Gthirteen if you have the foam, test use it in side walls and reinforcement of your bamboo blind (might be not the best) to find out improvement sites. I have a large TV cabinet between my speakers (4' behind it and in spite of that I get a nice presentation but have tweaked my way up to where I am....
Tricky G huh.... Kidding aside G, my former room was awfully small (more related to listening chamber perhaps) and was only through wall+floor+ceiling treatment that I got some decent reproduction. The room was so limited that I had to compensate heavyly If you treat your rear wall properly you might reach a good compromise by having a longer distance to speakers without too much rear wall effect.... Hope you get it better, keep us posted