3-D Imaging: How??

I'm finally satisfied with my current system, except for one thing: it is absolutely 2 dimensional except with a few discs in which you get a little depth. I have: Rega Planet, CJ PV11L, McCormack DNA.5, B&W Nautilus 805s. Interconnects are TARA Labs Master Gen 2, speaker cable is Audioquest SA-40 (hyper pure silver) on top, CV-4 on bottom(the CV-4 actually compares well to other cables I have tried) All equipment sits on marble slabs that are "tip-toed" to the concrete below my carpet. I'm using an Isobar Surge protector on the CD and Preamp, with a Sonic Horizons Daybreak power cord directly into the wall on the amp. The room is about 12" by 13", but I have a totally dedicated room with a good nearfield setup. Why is my sound 2-D?? Thanks guys!!
gthirteen
Gthirteen: You have a very good quality system that I'm sure should be able to provide a good soundstage including front to back layering. The same question arises in my mind on how close to front wall do you have them. A friend of mine has 805's and has them 8 feet from front wall with good results (larger room though), and yours? What about toe-in? Second is accoustics do you have racks or anything between the speakers? Have you treated accoustically the front wall? Share more details
The front baffle is about 4.5' from the front wall (about 1/3 of the way in. I used Paul Hales formulas for placement. Subaruguru- Maybe there was a mismatch with your system or room or cables. I'm getting no tizziness and no honking. THey sound utterly smooth and balanced (except for bass below 40hz) Perhaps its the silver cables on the tweeters (I dont understand how silver got the reputation of being "metallic sounding") or the Tubed Preamp that I'm using. I have them in about a 7' eqilateral triangle, toed'in to just behind my listening position. THe speakers have nothing between them, and the front wall is actually a large window, BUT I have a large Bamboo roll-dowm blind that looks to be great for diffusion, but maybe not. I've been looking into making some Roomlens clones, perhaps this would help. I have a box of RPG profoam, but I'm not using it now. I've often lusted after the Aleph series of amps, and I normally listen at lower levels..... perhaps I should try to find a demo.....I DO need a space heater.
i'd definitely recommend getting heavy fabric drapes for your window between the speakers. also, how far are ewe from the back wall? w/the speakers out 4.5' in a 12x13 room, i imagine yure pretty close - get some highly-absorbent sound treatment for the wall behind your listening position - this should also help. good luck, doug
As I have upgraded my system I noticed a lot of the better components push the image back "deeper". This seems to be desired by most listeners that post here and I am told is a more accurate reproduction of the recording venue. However the deeper the image the smaller it gets. This is natural, the further you sit from a performance, the smaller the image. Unfortunately, all the other dimensions suffer. Your components are of good quality. I have a feeling what you miss is the recreation of the performers in your room... like me. But then again... I can be wrong! I haven't heard too many systems that can image great. I heard the Virgo's with CJ's and they did a good job. And FYI I have old Spica's and they can do the image thing.(but are inferior in other ways). I have heard the B&W's many times and they "soundstage", but I never heard them throw an image.
As I have upgraded my system I noticed a lot of the better components push the image back "deeper". This seems to be desired by most listeners that post here and I am told is a more accurate reproduction of the recording venue. However the deeper the image the smaller it gets. This is natural, the further you sit from a performance, the smaller the image. Unfortunately, all the other dimensions suffer. Your components are of good quality. I have a feeling what you miss is the recreation of the performers in your room... like me. But then again... I can be wrong! I haven't heard too many systems that can image great. I heard the Virgo's with CJ's and they did a good job. And FYI I have old Spica's and they can do the image thing.(but are inferior in other ways). I have heard the B&W's many times and they "soundstage", but I never heard them throw an image.