DIY Made Easy!

Check out: http://community-2.wetv.net/audionutAK/AlansDIYCable Take care
alanmaher
I looked at his braided interconnects, and I'm not saying they wouldn't sound great, much better than the ones I'm about to describe. But just to throw out an idea, I don't begin to see the rationale for so much wire, which makes his braids extremely expensive. I used to make cables roughly like that, with as many as 6 wires signal and 6 more ground. Then I discovered Stalth cables and quite making my own for my own system, since I couldn't come close to their quality. But I still make cables for friends with lower end systems, and I use as little wire as possible, even to the point of making a double interconnect, with only 4 wires total, 2 for left and 2 for right, and in each of left and right, 1 for signal and 1 for ground. I make a fat braid, NOT like Kimber PJB or KCAG, and one thing I'm absolutely sure of, from direct comparisons of braids done each way, is that a fat braid (at least 1/2" diameter) sounds clearly better. These interconnects have to be double so as to have enough wires to braid. Keeping the wires down to 1 for signal, 1 for ground, in the cables I've made, and not saying anything about the ones from the DIY site that I haven't heard, made them better-sounding cables than my former multiwire braids. And when using Kimber silver, you save a LOT of money!
Tom, I use the same 25ga. Kimber silver wiring in my interconnects as they use in their Select Series and Black Pearl Speaker Cables. This cable first starts off as a twisted pair (1 signal and 1 ground). When I first designed this cable it went through 3 stages of design. First was the twisted pair which I thought sounded good but it had a thin tonal character to its sound. Next I built a quad braid (2 signal and 2 ground) and here I thought the cables overall sound was warming up which provided much more extension. The braid cable (3 signal and 3 ground) offered slightly greater extension with a more fleshed in soundfield which I found appealing in many types of systems. The cable I'm very proud of is the Belden 88232 coaxial cable. In every system I have tried (solid state and tube) I have found this cable to be superior over many $1000 IC's. This cable has been able to remove a good -3 to -6db of background noise out of a system to provide a pure black noise level. Take care