Help! Forte, Linn, Magnepan. NOT RIGHT?

Looking for suggestions on how to get better sound from my gear. System: Linn LP12 valhalla, Itok, K9 Marantz CD 67SE Interconnects between CD and pre are DIY CAT 5. Forte F44 line leve preamp (long interconnect to power - 20ft) Forte Model 7 mono blocks (75 watts class A) Magnepan Tympani 1D (refurbished by Maganepan) I have modified these to look like the 4a with oak and also separated the tweeter panels. I have also removed the crossovers and made external boxes for them. Problems: 1.) Sound is fatiguing. Can't play Rock at all(not enough deep bass). Jazz sounds pretty good. Voices are a bit harsh. Overall I’m just not satisfied. 2.) Currently have no phono preamp. Any suggestions for under $300? Anyone heard the Forte FP-1? 3.) When I was running the TT, my CD sounded better (go figure). Is the Linn K9 crap? TT is lacking detail and punch. I have had it set up professionally by a Linn dealer in Chicago and shipped back to me in VA. Can a Linn be shipped and still expected to keep its setup? 4.) What can I do with the stock crossover of the Tympani's? Keep in mind I have removed them and have plenty of space to do whatever is necessary to make them right. 5.) Subwoofer? should I? 6.) Knowing the above info… where would you concentrate your efforts first? I am on a budget, please keep suggestions low $ (1k or less). Any help would be great. Thanks.
smknezf9bd
The Tympani's are a hard speaker to drive. That said, I'm not sure the Forte's have the "juice" to get these speakers to come alive. I had a Forte 1A (50w/ch stereo) about 6 years ago and had brought it to the Magnepan dealer to hear how the 1A / Mag 3.? combo sounded. I loved that amp with my Thiels, but it just couldn't handle driving the Maggies. The Tympani's are considerably harder to drive than the 3. series. My recommendation: either get an appropriate amp for the speaker or get an appropriate speaker for the amp (both have very nice qualities on their own, but together... well, not so good) My guess is that to get an acceptable volume level, you are pushing the amps into clipping which is causing the fatiguing and harsh sound.
It is the Forte. Your asking them to do too much with the gear you have in place. The Linn is okay, and the K9 is fine...of course, down the line you will want to move up and it gets better. The older Linn tables are tough to keep working at optimum, but the newer tables (last couple years) they are much better in this respect.
Thanks all... I have tried other amps. Audio Research D-350 (YUK)! Hafler DH200 (not bad for the price, but dull). B&K Sonata 200 watt a/b monoblocks (I prefer the Forte to them). What else should I try, 1k or less used?
Have you tried different positions for the maggies?? They are extremely hard to focus (2 dimensions of sound field to focus) Other than that for 1K - I would side with the previous posts and look for some speakers that will go with your amps. I don't think you will be able to find amps capable of driving the maggies to your satisfaction for 1K. 75 watts is not near enough (especially with the Forte). I used to own MG-1As and 100 watts was not enough. I finally sold them due to the issues you bring up -- bass, the power they require, and the wife factor (if applicable). The bass issue you will never fix without the addition of a Subwoofer... I have tried plenty of subwoofers of all price ranges and never had any luck with anything integrating with the maggies that was acceptable to my ears. 75W of Forte Class A will work with efficient speakers -- You may want to look into some used ProAc for more forward sound, or some Vandersteen for laid back sound. You may be able to find some Avalon Acoustics Monitors for slightly above your price range @1500. The speaker lines mentioned will be more amp friendly than the maggies. A dealer I know of used to recommend these amps with B&W 804 and 805 -- not my cup of tea, but another alternative (used) in your price range. I hope this helps...
Does everyone believe my amp/speaker combo is hopeless? I actually achieve nice listening levels with the Forte Model 7s, I don’t have to turn them all the way up. How can I be sure that clipping is my issue? I don’t notice any additonal degradation of sound as I turn it up. Thoughts?