Are Rotel amps and preamps any good?

I have heard both positive and negative feedback on Rotel by various dealers? I cannot find any reviews on Rotel...can anyone shed any light on the subject, please? Thanks in advance!
fogtownrog
I think it is well known that Rotel makes excellent sounding amps. To out do them your going to spend considerbly more and the improvements are in very small increments. If you want to bring these amps to a higher level you can invest in a better preamp, maybe consider a quality tube preamp. I didn't find Rotel preamps as satisfying but maybe the new line preamps offered by Rotel have improved.
I don't like Rotel stuff. While I haven't heard every component under every circumstance I found the amps either bright, boomy in the bass, or veiled / fuzzy sounding. The CDP wasn't much better. Cambridge audio is pretty bad too.
I like NAD better and generally NAD is fuzzy but none of the other faults of Rotel. IMHO Rotel is just another budget mfg'r who has positioned themselves to the "audiophile" market.
There are comparably priced Harman Kardon, Sony and Denon amps that are in the league, and maybe better, than the Rotel RA-01, etc. Just not hyped as audiophile stuff here in the US. Nor are they set up for critical listening in stores. But check out the Brit mag's (or hifichoice online) and you will find a more open minded viewpoint.
Cdc, a local stereo shop called Advanced Audio carried the Rotel line for a while. This means very little unless you understand that they normally carry the very best and the most expensive gear. Anyway I will repeat what someone said one time in the forums & I agree with it. "One mans bright sounding amplifier is another mans extended amplifier". I personally do not use a Rotel amp as my main amp but I'm looking to buy one soon again as an alternative. Keep in mind that all we are really trying to do is match up the amp to our particular speakers. It is good that people do have differences of opinions otherwise if we all liked the same things, the forums would be boring or non exsistant at all. Your opinion is appreciated.
I agree with CDC...I have never been that impressed with midfi Rotel gear...I heard a recent all ROtel setup and found the sound bright,thin,hard,fatiguing, with very little bass extension..I find comparably priced NAD gear to be far more musical albeit maybe less "accurate"...at any rate...this is just my .02...they also...like NAD...had some horrible past reliabilty issues...although these seemed to have been addressed...
Phasecorrect you could be right on some Rotel gear but like any other Mfgr, all given models manufactured at different times are not always equal in sonic performance. You shouldn't condem the whole Rotel line over one system you heard. The type of front end & speakers you have, will have a major impact on the final results. I built my system around my speakers as I think putting most of the money here is three quarters the battle.