I'm frustrated with people who don't ...

Sorry for a long post...
Recently I was at a 3-day meeting out of town for work. For an evening activity we had a cook out at a colleague's house. While there, we gathered around his deck and a small fire in the back yard. I found myself in a group of 6 guys discussing hobbies. I mentioned my love for audio and began to describe my system and music library. Almost instantly, I was "pounced" for believing that any "hi end" component is worth the money compared to anything else one can buy from Best Buy. "Digital is digital" one guy stated, "an $89 player is as good as anything else out there". I attempted to defend my position but in no way was I able to convince anyone. I told them the next time they're in town, I'd have them over to my place and let them hear the difference, but I know most will not acknowledge the quality of sound. Footnote: I've known these guys for 3-5 years and they are professional level headed guys, I wasn't bragging, I made no grand statements that my system is better than anything else, I just talked about my interest and brought it up when they asked me. The icing on the cake was their disbelief that my system can only play one CD at a time... "you don't have a carousel on your CDP?" Man, I was frustrated.
mijknarf
Leica optics puts both Canon and Nikon or Pentax and especially Tamron to shame. I know because I've been using Leica since 2004.
Viggen,

You are most certainly correct about Leica optics and also its shutter speed accuracy. They produce a very fine camera. Back when I chose my photographic rut a Leica was clearly out of my price range.

While I may be wrong, when we are speaking of these three brands of cameras I feel strongly that today the biggest difference is in the film we choose. I've gravitated more to the digital side over the last ten years. I find it satisfying that I no longer have to spend any money to take tons of photos. I simply recharge my batteries and format my memory cards and away I go. This might be the photo equivalent of the MP3 but the savings allow me to buy more music software.

Whatever camera you use, may all your shots remain in focus and the exposure spot on!
The best advice for people like that is to not engage them. Arguing with someone who hasn't heard or doesn't understand is a waste of time. Just kindly smile and change the subject.
I always tell people that they might not be interested in the differences, but they will certainly be able to hear the differences. So far nobody who has heard my system has denied that it sounds substantially better than anything they've previously heard, and better than they has imagined a hifi could. But most say it's not important to them to have a similar sounding system. That's cool ... we all like different things.

If someone positively denies the difference and then refuses to listen, well just leave them to their ignorance.
Happy owner of Nikon F5 here.Cheers everyone!As far as audio equipment goes ,my mother in law humiliates me ,regarding my "crazy hobby" almost every week. My reaction to that"I keep buying more gear".I haven't met anybody yet at work or street (besides here at audiogon)that" understands ".And who cares anyway?
Happy listening