soundstage

interested to know which component has the most effect on getting good soundstage..especially back to front.Also can someone enlighten me as to how speaker placement effects soundstage. I have altec horns. I get good side to side soundstage but very little front back. All opinions are most welcome. Thanks, Larry
lvk47
I'm not a horn man, but the more space between speakers and the wall behind them, the better, the deeper--as a rule...
>interested to know which component has the most effect on getting good soundstage<

Your Room... once you take control over of Echo Slap, Reverb times (RT60's), First Reflections, and Standing waves, your speakers and equipment's true potential will show thru.
Bipolar speakers like Definitive Tech speakers produce a fantastic soundstage, even when located within a foot of a rear wall, however, imaging seems to suffer, instead of that dead-on imaging you get more of a general imaging. I would definatly say speakers and placement have a big impact on soundstage
I say speakers 1st most important, room 2nd most important.

If your room is all up to snuff, and yer speakers arent, it aint gonna help much

Get better soundstage with great speakers and a crappy room than with crappy speakers and a great room.

Im probably gonna get pelted with rotton fruit on that one, but all the room accoustics in the world wont help a crappy system, however, an excellent system still sounds excellent in a crappy room, it might not "Shine" but still sounds excellent.

(excellent using relative termonology, im not talking about the best of the best of the cream of the crop. Ive always felt that somone who things a 20k system sounds bad, even in a bad enviornment, has lost touch with reality. it still sounds good, but may not live to its fullest potential, and if that is considered "bad" as in "Not good" then you need a break from this hobby to get things back in perspective ;)