The Great Cryo'd Outlet Test

Some have wondered about the Cryo'd outlet test that this skeptic has agreed to do, thanks to the generous loan of an outlet by another member. The situation is that the outlet, and its non-cryo'd twin have been breaking in for several weeks and I think we can agree they are ready for evaluation. Performing the tests will involve littering the room with various amps and speakers with the associated wires strung around, so, and I am sure you understand, I need to wait for a free day when my dear wife is elsewhere occupied.
A report will be made.
eldartford
Eldee: I regret if there are any Jehovah's Witnesses out there reading along, but I was LOL at that analogy! Too true...I once did the same thing (invite them in) when I was just a teenager. A husband and wife I believe - got them something to drink and we all made ourselves comfortable in the living room. I guess they gamely tried keeping it up for about 10 minutes before realizing that they *really did* have a sincere atheist on their hands and it was going to be easier pickings elsewhere. I remember feeling slightly bummed at the time that they so readily gave up on saving my soul, but the whole exercise in retrospect seems a little gratuitous and unkind of me (then again, they *did* ask for it)...Can't accuse Hdm of being OK with seeing me burn in audio hell though!

Geoffkait: There are actually people out there cryogenically freezing vinyl records? (Don't think I'd do that to my valuable vinyl...) What's next, freezing the little wooden disks? Anyway, if I owned a cryo lab, I wouldn't be offering any explanations either. Around 10 years ago I drove a beer truck for a while, back when 'ice-brewed' beer was the latest industry fad. I remember the owner of the distributorship telling us salesman that he had consulted with master brewers at the breweries and been told that in reality, there was nothing behind the hype: the beer was the same as it would have been otherwise given the same recipe, with the sole exception that if you lowered the temperature enough to cause water to precipitate out of solution and then removed some of those ice crystals before allowing them to dissolve back out again into the brewing beer, you would slightly raise the alcohol concentration by lowering the water content. Big deal. Apparently the brewers didn't want this to be public knowledge because, among other reasons, they didn't want to be seen as promoting higher alcohol content of beers. Did that fact stop multimillion-$ ad campaigns from launching the biggest beer craze since light beers? Ha! (It didn't prove to have exactly the same legs though.) What could it be about the idea of freezing stuff that seems to give people such a kick?...
Zaikesman - The problem with the ice-brewed beer analogy is that the ice brewed beer was heavily promoted in the industry; this is not the case (no pun) for cryoing audio gear. I'm pretty sure cryogenic treatment of cables, records, CDs etc. will never become a fad. Interesting that you accepted on face value the distributor's story (as told by the salesman, who heard it from the "master brewers)." I can't help wondering if anyone drew a conclusion regarding ice-brewed beer based on experience? No need to answer, rhetorical Q...
Geoffkait: It was meant to be a funny story on a slimly related note, not really a perfect analogy. You read it slightly wrong though, it was the owner of the distributorship (who employed me - I was one of the salesmen) that visited the breweries periodically and was told this directly by the brewers. (Yes, there really are people with the title 'master brewer' working in breweries - had I stayed in that job longer, I would've also toured a brewery and met one. In fact, some breweries conduct public tours, but I doubt you'll get told the truth about 'ice-brewing' if you go on one.) Anyway, we were in turn told it by him, our boss. He had nothing to gain by being so honest and open about the issue with his sales force, but getting educated in beer was part of our job, and he was an intelligent, approachable guy who knew the official explanations were kind of fuzzy and that there was snickering in the ranks when the stuff was introduced, so he checked into it and gave us the straight dope. It does make more sense to me than the nebulous implications of the ice-beer ad campaigns did. Plus, my grandfather (who was still alive at the time) had been a brewing chemist at a consulting company in that industry for many years, and although he was long retired when ice-beer came out, he concurred that he could devise no scenario in his mind by which ice-brewing (as the method had been described to me, the details of which I've forgotten by now) could make any real difference. As to your question about whether ice-beer tasted different, there were confounding variables - it was not exactly the same recipe as any of the other beers. Which I'm sure was done deliberately, otherwise it would have tasted just like another beer, so it was really just a creative excuse to come out with a different beer with a different marketing angle. (And about whether cryo in high end audio is officially a 'fad' at this point, I don't know that we can define that one either, but I see elements of faddish behavior surrounding it, just like a lot of things in this hobby.)

Anyway, I just finished up installing the Porter Port and am playing the music I listened to last yesterday, Wayne Shorter's "Juju" (RVG ed. Blue Note CD) and Lorraine Ellison's "Stay With Me" (Warner Bros. W7 green label LP)*. Do I hear any differences? Who the hell knows? It's been almost 24 hours and I don't even know what my volume settings from yesterday were. But overall my system sounds about the same, maybe just a tad worse (could be nothing, could be anything, but it's true that the system, after being unplugged while I worked, probably isn't in the same state of warm-up as it was yesterday). This despite that I also polished the contacts of my wall plug and removed the 3-prong adaptor in addition to installing the new outlet and restripping and polishing new bare wire ends inside the box**. Of course the only thing this 'proves' is that I can't detect an overwhelming difference, not that I couldn't hear any improvement at all under different circumstances. But it sure sounds a lot like no improvement at all (does this support the supposed break-in requirement?). We'll see if I suspect any differently over the next few days...

*If you're a fan of Aretha Franklin's late-60's Atlantic work, don't pass up this little-known Jerry Ragavoy-produced gem from the same era should you ever stumble across it (or a reissue). The once-legendary but now almost forgotten title single (not the Faces tune by the same name) has an epic intensity to surpass Tina Turner's "River Deep, Mountain High" and a more magnificent pathos than "Layla".

**What represents an acceptable ground voltage reading across the neutral and ground terminals? I think I'm getting a little over 1v.
I may have misinterpreted your analogy a bit, I seem to recall tasting ice brewed beer once and thinking it tasted "watery" but then I'm not a conoisseur. It seems like almost everything in this hobby is debatable, even more mundane items like amps can sometimes be controversial, or at least sound quite different in different systems. Not to mention cables. Cryo treatment (and freezing) probably fits in the category of "how could this possibly do anything?" Plus there is the problem of how to make any money out of this puppydog, as initial investment for equipment is very high and prices for service must be competitive (i.e., low). Cryoing will prob. continue to be a quirk and debatable, at least for audio - doesn't even make a good conversation piece as you cannot see it.
The "ice-brewed beer" method of increasing alcohol content is an age old method, best known for Jersey Lightning. This is fermented apple cider which you put out the window in the fall so that the water freezes. Then you pour off the liquid residue, which contains a high proportion of alcohol.

Cryo is just a form of heat treatment, used to alter the physical properties of a substance, usually metal. Cryo treatment of a brass instrument like a trumpet will change its timbre, as will other forms of heat treatment. Interestingly, I am quite willing to believe that cryo treatment of vinyl recordings may affect their sonic quality. For better or worse I don't know. The vinyl flexes a good deal as the stylus traces the groove, and if the vinyl were made stiffer, or more flexible, the sound would change.