Whats the Story w/ Headphones?

Because of several issues right now I am looking to get a pair of good headphones. Is there that much difference between them, I assume there is. I have been reading about the Seenheiser HD 600 (Class A in Stereophile) the newer HD 650. Also the Grado RS 1 (also Class A ). I dont mind spending that much but are they really worth it. Do you have to have alot of other equipment w/them? H/S amps, cables? I just want a decent sound,on all music. Would it be a waste just to plug them into a CD Player. Any advice on the subject or reviews on any headsets would be appreciated!!
128x128rsa
I like the Stax 2020...I was very impressed as it was real close to the 3030 in sound. I got them here on the Gon for $425.00 and bought the 16' extension cable used for 35.00, I thought it was quite a bargian. Detail, resolution and warmness with outstanding tight bass are the Stax hallmarks in their stats.
How familiar are you with headphone listening? If you are not, I suggest you buy something for under $100 and see if you can justify spending more. It's sorta like the rest of high end: you probably didn't invest until you got your feet wet.

I, for one, cannot tolerate headphones for serious or relaxed listening.
Plato,
I've went through the Stax adapters to poweramps and prefered the active amp that connects through the line outputs.
I also dislike the wearing part of headphone listening, especially when the weather is warm. But there are times when my wife has a writing assignment with a deadline and I need to listen to something with guitars, bass and drums. That's when the Senn 600/Xcan V2 system comes in handy. And after a few minutes, I adjust to the feeling of my head being trapped in a vice and relax to the great sound.