Open-Minded or Gullible?

Since recently joining this discussion group I have learned a few interesting things, reevaluated some of my opinions (biwireing), and marveled at a most astonishing collection of quasi-scientific mumbo jumbo. (Sorry about that).

Because I really would like to pick up some useful information, I need to have a feel for the degree of credibility to be given to comments made here. Should I really run out and spend $2000 on speaker cables because someone says they sound good?

I have suggested that we all have a limit to what we think might be true, or at least worth a try. Some, like me, are conservative: for example I believe that loudspeakers and phono pickups improve with initial use, but not wires. Others are more open-minded/gullible (you pick the word). I made an attempt to determine how "far out" the Audiogon opinion spectrum extends by asking a question that I thought would be near the limit.
"Do you think that reversing the direction of a cartridge fuse can affect sound quality?" Apparently not far enough!

8 of 17 people who responded to this question (some made other comments) think that reversing a fuse would (or could) make a difference.

What question should I ask next. Do granite shelves of equipment racks need breakin? I already know that some say yes. Does the air in the listening room need breakin? I don't dare ask. Instead why not have you guys tell me (us) where you draw the line, with a few examples near that line which you accept and reject.

Please no one take offense. I don't care what you choose to believe, and you ought to be proud to state your position.
eldartford
What??!!!!!!!!! Diana has snots???!!!!!!!

I thought I heard Jacintha fart. Or was that William Shatner?
I've never been able to understand people with good audio systems and presumably good ears who have NOT heard cables going through break-in. Every cable I've had, especially power cords, goes through an almost predictable sequence of initially being anemic with hashy bright highs, no bass, no dynamics and very limited fine detail or nuance, to a state of normal sound. Usually it takes 10-50 hours, with fine detail and chromatic nuance being a late stage. If somehow you are not hearing this, then either your system is not revealing, your cables are zip cord, or something else is going on. I'm a pure scientist/engineer type and I've got no problem with this. If you're hearing different results, I'd be interested in knowing. There's certainly no religion in it.

And of course you shouldn't spend $2000 or anything else on cables until you hear them and decide that they make enough difference in your system to be worth it to you. But do take some time to listen. Or make your own...it's more fun.
Eldartford,

I'm one that made other comments. My official vote is that no, reversing a fuse does not make a difference although cleaning it would. A lot of the stuff that I snicker at may actually make a difference in a very revealing system but my system seems to be immune from most tweaks. I believe that it is system dependent although some of the stuff seems to be way out there, maybe. One fact remains; everything is a tone control.
Best advice is to make your own judgement by direct experience in your system, in your space, with your ears and your music (as Flex suggests).

Here are some humorous links for y'all on this subject:

Ultimate Power Supply for Sale on Audiogon This one ends soon so the link is only good for a limited time.

The Ultimate Tweak I wrote this one to blow off steam on the same subject matter. A bit lude so don't read it if you're not flexible in that regard. You have been warned.

Marco
Hah! My system will resolve which nostril contained the booger. It was the left.