What is the best DVD recording medium?

I just picked up a panasonic DVD burner and I generally understand the different standards, but frankly its a pain figuring out which is the best to record on. I would really appreciate input on the groups knowledge and experience with these burners.
ksales
By the way, after doing some more online research, I learned that you should not record DVD's at anything other than the 1 or 2 hr recording time options, otherwise they will not play back on any other machines. Also, there is debate over whether recording on DVD-R is better than on DVD+R in terms of being able to play back on other machines. I did not realize that the -R and the +R were different media! And finally, some programs and movies and esp. PPV may broadcast with a copy protection flag and not allow you to copy to TiVo or DVD recording machines. I don't know if it's worth investing in a recording machine yet. Have you found yours useful for your purposes?
Its ok and I got a good deal. Frankly it is frustrating that there are multiple standards. it makes it difficult to assess to determine the best mode. Thanks alot for the input.
Another word of advice. Though I did not mention it in my original post - I own a 13 year video editng and media duplication company. In just the past few months Phillips, Sony & Hewlett Packard have entered the DVD recording market with DVD+R recorders. THE DVD+R Discs they use ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MOST COMMERCIAL DVD DUPLICATION EQUIPMENT. That means that if you put together an edited program and want to have it duplicated later on; most DVD replication companies will charge you an extra fee to transfer the DVD+R disc to something they can use for duplication BEFORE any duplicate discs are manufactured.
If you are seriously considering the purchase of a DVD recorder; I suggest you buy a Panasonic or Pioneer DVD-R/RW machine. All DVD-R discs made by these machines at 1 and 2 hour recording speeds are directly compatible with commercial dupliction equipment. And there are a lot more of them out there, In fact, Panasonic and Pioneer are already producing second generation DVD recorders.