How do you get the "real" feel of music?

There is a certain "real" feeling that I get when I go to a live concert. It's more of "feeling" the music instead of "hearing" it. That feeling, I think, comes from percussion instruments. I'd like to get that feel in my home stereo but it's not there. In my home, snare drums don't pop, I don't feel the bass drum in my chest, and rim shots don't exist. Is there a way to get that presence in a small system?

I'm not rich, and I don't want to hear, "Scrap all your sorry equipment and get a Krell, Bryston and HSU..." so with that in mind, I've got a 12x16 room with:

Sony DVP-NS500 DVD
JVC HR-S5900 VCR
Harman Kardon AVR80 II as a pre-amp
Parasound HCA-1205 power amp

I have used
Definitive Technologies BP-6
Polk Audio R40, CS-175, and PSW-250
Bose Accoustimass 5
Bose R-41

Is there any hope?
beetle63
Thanks for comin' on back, Sasha, and for not taking my comments on what you said (or others' reactions to them) personally. Since it would seem you have a lot of expertise to share, and since, as you say, writing out your thoughts can help you to shape your own conceptions of them, why do you choose not to actively participate around here more frequently? It's true I didn't find your initial post revelatory enough to warrant dissing all the posts prior to it, but that doesn't mean that I don't find many of your points valid (and I already mentioned the ones I question ;^) We can always use more members with experience and opinions around here, so I'm glad you didn't let the bruhaha following your first post disuade you from returning, and hope you will continue to contribute.
Thanks for comin' on back, Sasha, and for not taking my comments on what you said (or others' reactions to them) personally. Since it would seem you have a lot of expertise to share, and since, as you say, writing out your thoughts can help you to shape your own conceptions of them (a process I've benefitted from myself), why do you choose not to actively participate around here more frequently? It's true I didn't find your initial post revelatory enough to warrant dissing all the posts prior to it, but that doesn't mean that I don't find many of your points valid (and I already mentioned the ones I question ;^) We can always use more members with experience and opinions around here, so I'm glad you didn't let the bruhaha following your first post disuade you from returning, and hope you will continue to contribute.
Sasha,

I agree with Zaikesman 100%... I enjoyed reading your last
post. Although we all may never agree on one right way
to do things or the same product/s alot of us do appreciate others opinions, thoughts and experience/s.

Steve