Smoke coming from transformer means........anyone?

Found an old tube rcv. turned it on and it started to smoke. I noiced the transformer was extremely warm. Will I cause any more damage turning it on? Shiould I replaced the transformer or junk it? Anyone able to help me?
128x128lolo
Probably the tranny gave, and depending on what it is, probably not worth fixing, unless it is of collector value or such. Since you did not tell us what it is, can't help you there. You might want to keep the tubes depending on what they are. Good luck
Cut the output of the tranformer and plug it back in,if it still smokes you found the problem. I found an old philco radio (vintage 1937)in a customers basement. I bought it for $50 and took it home. Everything worked!
Tim Flemke
Lolo- The transformer may still be good IF you powered it off in time and don't repeat the attempt until you have located the real problem. It is likely that the power supply caps have failed with age and are acting like resistors to ground rather than caps. Sometimes they can be "reconditioned", but more often should be replaced. Whether or not it's worth the repair expense will depend on the make/model and condition, including tubes. You could have a nice gem if you can locate a tech willing to give it a decent inspection/estimate for repair. Good luck
Lolo: Be careful, even if its not plugged in tube equipment can carry a wallop!!! Caps can and will store high voltage. High Voltage!! If you are not familiar with tubes/voltage I would forget about doing it yourself. If someone knows more about exactly what you have they may correct me, but better safe than sorry.

We like you the way you are.

Sincerely, I remain