Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
It is possible to be economically deprived and still be in the "High end". First, you have to buy the low end of the "High end", next you improve it by swapping out capacitors. Always make your own interconnects; Vampire wire and Belden have very good products. You can also build speakers for home theater and bedroom; you will need an engineer to design crossover for listening room speakers. It is possible to have the highest of the "high end" sound on the cheap.
Orpheus 10,

Yes, it is possible as demonstrated by my friend the "Evil Weed". He has parlayed a modest investment into a SOA system by buying his gear on the internet and then having it modified by the original designers who often no longer work for the company and often are thrilled to update their designs, often at very reasonable prices. It also helps if you have friends who are willing to loan you pieces for audition. Sometimes we forget that yesterday's
Editor's Choice is just as good even if it has been replaced by a new product. Audio is a fickle industry. I am using a TT that is almost 20 years old and speakers that are almost 8 years old.
Listen to as many systems as you can
Buy what works for you, not anyone else
A very modest, well thought out system set up properly will outperform a much more expensive system that is poorly set up
Don't listen to the hype. There's so much BS in this hobby it ain't funny
In the end it's the music - Enjoy listening always
1. It's all about the music!
2. Placement of your speakers/gear in your listening room can make a bigger difference, good or bad, than any piece of equipment so spend the time to get it right.
3. Don't get cought up in equipmentmania. Use your ears more than specs when auditioning gear. Good equipment will "involve" you in the music.
4. Usually in this game, you get what you pay for. Some of the prices may seem a bit "scarry" to the novice but good equipment will last and last and in the long run is usually less expensive than buying cheap stuff.
5. It's all about the music! I read a hint in this thread that recommended you pay attention when the hairs on the back of your neck raise. That hits the nail on the head. A great system will also be great "emotionally." Regardless of the brands.
6. Have fun!!!
Don't listen too much to the experts....oops...well, what I mean is that if it sounds good to YOUR ears, then put some weight on that. Everybody has their preference, loud/bright/ detailed/less loud,etc. Your instincts aren't far off, but the equipment may be, i.e. poor equipment may give inconsistent results, and price is not always a guarantee of quality.