Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
A list for the teachers (me), social workers, those with children, or others who cannot spend thousands of dollars over and over again. . .

1. Buy for the long-term unless the thrill of this hobby for you is keeping up with the technology, the novelty of new equipment, or something else less music-oriented and more sound-oriented, if that distinction makes sense.

2. Along these lines, buy stuff you love, especially if you want to enjoy it for several years to come. Compromises have a way of sticking in one's head and interfering with the ability to enjoy the music. If you love music, it's worth it to own better equipment.

3. Buy used/demo. After years of thinking I could simply not justify the expense of high end equipment, I discovered this site. For literally half the price of retail I set up my first high quality system and as far as I'm concerned it's magnificent. I've had nothing but great experiences with the people here, both dealers and individuals.

4. If you're building a system, set a goal. Take a break from the upgrade cycle when you've reached that goal and just listen to what you've got. You'll know after six months to a year whether you really must upgrade a particular component or whether you were just emotionally caught up in the last round of purchasing and are actually perfectly content with what you have.

5. If you didn't cash it out to afford your new purchases, keep your old system around and listen to it periodically. It will remind you of the marked improvements in your current set-up. This may help you remember what you love about it if you've gotten complacent, spoiled or re-bitten by the upgrade bug.

Enjoy wonderful music and remember the other things that matter in your life as well.

Sean
*if it ain't broke, don't be stupid, you can get in wayyy over your head quick. a tube amp plate voltage CAN kill you. if you have trouble with the chassie screws....DON'T!

*if your neighbors already don't like you, you might not need a bigger amp. maybe a subwoofer could help move the china in their china cabinet. ears...remember.

*music selection is important!
Very few people are into hi-end 2 channel...and the few that are take this stuff way too seriously(Guilty as charged)...1)relax, have fun, listen, and be patient...
2)Trust your own ears and instincts...take advice with a large does of salt...
3)know your ROOM and its limitations...
4)opt for midrange accuracy over boom-box bass
5)go analog and go tubes....
ALso...1)exhaust speaker placement options before upgrading
2)dont put a large speaker in small room
3)dont put a small speaker in a big room
4)know your ROOM
5)did i menition...know your ROOM