Why "Cryo" anything?

Ok. So far, I have yet to think of a good explanation for "Cryo" treatment to enhance anything. Can someone explain this to me?

For background, I have a Master degree in Material Science Engineering. Here is my explaination why just "cryo" won't work.

At room temperature, the metal is already solid or frozen. Freezing it further won't do much. Most metals requires high temperature to cause any change in the microstructure or grain size/orientation/distribution. Simply freezing it for a few minutes will not change how it operates after the metal returns to room temperature.

Eric
ejliu
Ejliu,

I would think cryo treatment comprises a complete cooling and (re)heating cycle; i.e., the return to room temperature constitutes "heating" in my book. No heating above room temp is required, but I suppose it could be used along w/ cryo in some applications like hardening of tools, etc.

Cold tempering (as I use the term) has been around for a very long time; what is in vogue, as you say, in audio is same process (or should be) as Cryopro and other outfits have been doing for years. Actually cryoing has been around in audio for quite, more than 6 or 7 years, now that I think about it, Meitner, Walker, and many others, some more public than others. I first started using Crypro about 12 years ago, about the time that some big guns like Holleywell were experimenting with cryoing transistors. (Never did hear about their results heheh)
John

Nice post. Out of curiosity, is Jimmy Neutron your less intelligent brother?

Cheers

Bill
Ejilu,
There is a reasonable chance that I studied and understood valid sample sizes before you did. It would be nice for us to have done over 100 repetitions of the comparisons that we did, but we only did about 22 or so. I think a 100 % agreement from sophisticated and objective audiophiles makes a pretty strong case for the idea that cryo treatments can work on certain audio components.
It is interesting that you have had time to send another condescending post to/about me but not have the time to send an email to me so we could organize me sending a cryoed copy of one of your CD's to you so you could make your own comparisons and conclusions.
What listening comparisons have you done so far of comparing cryoed and non-cryoed audio parts in the same resolving system on the same day with the same music that have led you to believe that cryo treatments don’t work ?
Rgds,
Larry
Cello,
I will make this my last post on the subject to avoid your claim of I "being a troll".

The point I want to make is this: I am curious about Cyro treatment and its claim. So far I have not yet heard a credible scientific theory that makes it work. All of them are guesses and subjective testing. In fact, I have only read a good scientific explanation on why it would not work.

It's quite ok to claim benefit of cryo treatment because you heard the benefit. It's quite another to claim that there is a scientific reason behind it. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I often make large audio purchase based on subjective testing. In fact, I typically doubt DBT ABX testing due to its difficult set up and psycho-acoustical issues.

So, when someone makes a scientific claim, I would very much like to see the actual research going into it.

Let me put it another way. Let's say you send back the cryo CD and I told you it did absolutely nothing. Would you agree that "cryo" does not work? Of course not. Just the same that if I told you it worked great, it still does nothing to prove the scientific claim.

Aruging about subjective testing is pointless.

Lugnut,
Please read Jneutron's post about heat cycle's roll on cyro treatment of solid metals. There is not too much more I can say on the subject. You can disagree based on your experience, but it's kind of difficult to argue about numbers.

Eric
Eric,
This is an audio site. Why on earth if you are truly interested in knowing whether cryoing works would you turn down a free Cryoed CD if not just to satiate your curiosity ?
Understanding the science is fine and worthy, but what is the point in being interested in the science and not the subjective experience of listening on your own ?
Your responses and reactions just reinforces the thought that you started this thread just to start a debate to argue and you don't really care about whether cryoing works in someone's system.
Please don't ask questions in the future on this forum if you have no serious interest in searching for answer of your questions. You have just succeeded in wasting the time of a few well-intended people who were trying to be helpful.