Why "Cryo" anything?

Ok. So far, I have yet to think of a good explanation for "Cryo" treatment to enhance anything. Can someone explain this to me?

For background, I have a Master degree in Material Science Engineering. Here is my explaination why just "cryo" won't work.

At room temperature, the metal is already solid or frozen. Freezing it further won't do much. Most metals requires high temperature to cause any change in the microstructure or grain size/orientation/distribution. Simply freezing it for a few minutes will not change how it operates after the metal returns to room temperature.

Eric
ejliu
There are situations where science cannot explain why something works. But there are two other situations.

1.. Science explains how something works.
2...Science explains why something cannot work.

Although we are surrounded by examples of situation 2 (Dumbo notwithstanding, elephants can't fly) audiophiles have a hard time ever accepting this.
Eldartford,
I am ok with Elephants can't fly, but Cryo treatment works (and not because I am stubborn, but because it does).
Rgds,
Larry
How could cryo treatment possibly affect the sound from optical disks? I may buy it for cables and whatnot, but CDs? What is that about?
Drubin,
I can not tell you why Cryoed CD's sound so much better but they just do.
Maybe someone else can chime in fill us in on the why.
Rgds,
Larry
Couldn't have anything to do with the optical characteristics of the poycarbonate layer, could it?