Top ten DD turntables of all time?

I'm getting back into vinyl and need some suggestions. Please don't suggest belt drives!!! Better yet, let's mention only vintage DD turntables, since I feel they are superior to anything being manufactured today.
rod1957
Twl

I am a fan of your thinking and writing, but with respect, perhaps you are being a little harsh here.

Sure, its true there were tons of mass marketed, crap DD turntables in the 70's.

Cheap lightweight plastic cases, silly strobe lights, lousy arms, jerky semi or fully automatic operation.

They were perfectly matched to similarly mass produced receivers with vinyl veneered MDF cabinets and boasting ".04% Total Harmonic Distortion"

(Even then, I dont think they were quite as sleazy as "Coby"?! although you made me laugh!)

What I remember as well, however, were many high end attempts at turntables based on the popular drive technology of the time.

Denon made a number of high end ish turntables. The Kenwood had a resin (?) base that was unusually heavy and granite like -- as I said a cult high end favorite. The Yamaha PX-2 was direct drive and also an excellent table, especially when tweaked with platter mats and record clamps.

I am no Michael Fremer, but in my experience, suspensions, platter surfaces, arms, cartridges and set up -- especially record cleaning and preparation -- have always had a much bigger impact on performance than the presence or absence of microphonic vibration through the spindle or something.

And maybe I had the wrong match for an arm and cartridge, but for me, my years with a Linn LP12 were the unhappiest analogue years of my life. I never liked that turntable, found it sensitive and finicky and never enjoyed it.

I am not loyal to direct drive or belt drive. For sheer coolness alone, I have always coveted a top of the line VPI with an SME V or something, but in the absence of spending the big bucks, would consider a vintagey DD again.

Would love to hear your retort on any of this but that's the way I see it, I mean, heard it.

Best wishes.
Both twl and cwlondon make valid comments. But in both cases they cover only a portion of the field. Again, for a more complete and comprehensive history of the subject, as well as a detailed technical discussion, I'd like to refer you all to the DD website at:

http://de.geocities.com/bc1a69/index_eng.html

It's thoroughly researched and nicely presented.
Well "Rod1957"

I only know of three which qualified as the top direct-drive turntables of all time. And they are:

(01). ReVox 780 with Swing Around Linear Tracking Tone Arm
(02). Any Higher-End Denon in the DP Series
(03). Technics SL-1200 MkII (and if I could recall correctly, Technics had a bunch of other models with the Quartz Locked Direct-Drive System back in the late 1970's/early 1980's)

(04). And I am sure that there were others as well, I just couldn't recall right off the bat.

--Charles--
I loved the look, feel and performance of the beautiful Denon DP-60L. 30 pound high finish rosewood block with brushed aluminum tome arm/