blue collar workers

was just sittin here wondering how many people here at audiogon are blue collar workers.

just curious as to how many people work with their hands that enjoy the same hobby as me.

i myself run a 25 to 30 man construction crew in michigan & all the other hifi nuts i know are not blue collar people.

mike
128x128bigjoe
Im a printer,spend my days crawling,climbing around a two story newspaper press,
After an initial career in lab equipment manufacturing I slowly transformed into Boston's Subaruguru. Ha! So now I try to protect my piano-playing fingers while burning them on hot heads and cutting them when building PCs. Today's my b-day (52), so I just bought a pretty tippy kayak. Guess I'd better learn to swim....
My Dad mixed art and craft as the head sculpter-designer at Swank in Attleboro, designing and carving all their cuff links, tie bars, etc., for 40 years! So i grew up with a basement full of bushel baskets of tiny carvings of amy and all objects a kid could imagine. He and my uncles were all toolmakers, etc., and consummate handymen. I quickly jumped sideways into a corner room, mysteriously playing with electricity, becoming a kid Ham, and all that, then built a few speakers as a teen. An ivy engineering stint got me a decade of high tech exposure before the corporate blowup. Being self-employed is its own curse, but I still enjoy using my hands, although without the artism of my Dad. I played organ as a kid. He CARVED a solid gold 1/2" Hammond B for my mom's charm bracelet (yup, with 2x 61 keys...and pedalboard) back around '65, but he never played a note. Fortunately I enjoy my Steinway B now, but interestingly can't draw anything BUT a straight line! Ha!
My career, if you can call it that, is about 15 years as a carpenter then 10 years at a local children's hospital as a maintenance tech. Been off work 5 months to the day due to a bad back.
I have enjoyed dirt bikes, four wheelers, fishing boats and cabinet making. Stereo equipment is easy on the back but has the same impact on the bank account........Pat
speedball, i think all of us who have spent so many years in the trades have a bad back & knee's ,after 21 years of industrial roofing mine's like a bowl of jello, thank god im in management now.

good luck on the back.

mike.