Haydn Joseph Franz

Hi, I need help with classical music selections, and since you guys helped me out so much with Jazz selections, I have decided to ask for your help once again. I have become really intereseted in Violin Sonatas and Trio Sonatas (specifically Violin, Keyboard, & Cello) by Haydn and was wondering what some of the better recorded cd's are. I have no idea where to begin, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
petrtyl1
The Levin recordings are on original instruments. If you like the sound of the historic pianos (fortepianos) and strings, then they are a good choice.
Three J. Haydn's you won't go wrong with include:
NADIA RESEINBERG--THE ACCLAIMED HAYDN RECORDINGS
Sonata No. 13 in G Hob. XVI:6; Fantasia (Capriccio) in C Hob. XVII:4; Sonata No. 62 in E-flat Hob.XVI:52; Tema con Variazoni in C Hob. XVII:5; Sonata No. 50 in D Hob. XVI:37; Ivory Classics/ Arietta con Variazioni in A Hob. XVII:2; Sonata No. 53 in E minor Hob. XVI:34; Capriccio in G Hob. XVII:1; Sonata No. 35 in A-flat Hob. XVI:43; Areitta con Variazioni in E-flat Hob. XVII:3; Sonata No. 60 in C Hob. XVI:50; Andante Varie in F minor Hob. XVII:6
Philips: Symphony No. 88 & 89; Sinfonia concertante in B-flat major /Lucy van Dael (violin); Wouter Möller (cello); Ku Ebbinge (oboe); Danny Bond (bassoon)
Orchestra of the 18th Century + Frans Brüggen
...My personal favorite: Symphony No. 104 "London"; Symphony No. 94 "Surprise"; Overture "Acide e Galatea" (Heidelberger Sinfoniker /Thomas Fey) It is from Hanssler Classic. Here is the most recent review from L.Sabbatini: "Now that its monumental Bach edition has been accomplished, Hänssler Classic launches another giant project. This CD marks the beginning of a new complete cycle of Joseph Haydn symphonies, to be achieved in 2009 for the 200th anniversary of the composer's death. And if the same qualitative level is maintained throughout this 10-year span, it's going to be a wonderful achievement. Thomas Fey has studied with Nikolaus Harnoncourt, and he approaches this music with the same uncompromising attitude of his teacher. Tempos are on the swift side and dynamic contrasts are extreme but never artificial. The balance is just perfect, thanks to the use of brass and timpani on period instruments, which allows the "modern" strings (played without vibrato) and woodwinds to come out very naturally. But there is more in these recordings than just authenticity. In every piece Fey uncovers the very essence of Haydn, his unpredictable humor as well as his moments of abandon and melancholy. With its sharp-edged but flexible playing, the Heidelberger Sinfoniker reveals itself to be the perfect ensemble to convey the nuances of Haydn's boundless imagination. This major enterprise benefits from a panoramic recording, at once transparent and coherent. If you like Haydn, don't miss this one. If you still don't know if you like Haydn, give it a try and be converted."

There are many other good Haydn as you will find out. All three of these recordings have have the highest ratings on both artistic quality as well as sound quality (10/10)
Have fun,
Doug
I just checked the listing of the complete works of Haydn in my copy of the Grove and their are no violin sonatas. Haydn did write tons of string trios, his employer Prince Esterhazy played an obscure string instrument called th baryton but these are of limited interest. He also wrote many superb string quartets.