Ken Burns' JAZZ starts Monday on PBS!

A reminder that Ken Burns' 10 part series begins Monday in most all of the USA. Burns' past documentaries have been "The Civil War" and "Baseball." They were very, very good. Enjoy! Charlie
danvetc
Hi, Snook2. Maybe someone else should have stepped forward, but Marsalis did step forward. The man has a vision and a mission. I have my gripes about him, and I share your concerns about lack of exposure for other deserving musicians, but I'm not gonna knock WM now. Overall I think he's been very good for jazz and also is doing a good job on the series. Though he's a very talented trumpeter, I'm not a big fan of his playing. However, when I saw him a few years ago doing some of his arrangements of Ellington and Jelly Roll Morton with a small contingent of his Lincoln Center musicians, I thought how terrific it was that someone was doing that. Plus, it sounded great.
I think my comments may have come across in a way in which they were not meant. I will not bore you with my pedigree as an activist for social and racial justice. I was stating my disappointment with the tone and emphasis on especially inflammatory remarks made by racists at that time. It is a little "over the top", for me. Both Will and Jayboard are correct, the music cannot be fully understood without appreciating the societal evils that surrounded it, (and still do,) but I was hoping for more emphasis on the music and its evolution. I have not stopped watching it. Charlie
I recently heard a NPR's report on this upcoming series, which made some critical observations. They started by stating that KB almost seems a parody of himself copying his schtick from prior specials. They also stated that he seems to get stuck on his favorites, giving them center stage and 30 minute biographies and others, whom NPR felt were just as important, 5-10 minute quickies. Overall NPR seemed to indicate a strong bias on KB's part. They also refered to the civil rights weaving of times and artists. Which I believe can hold true for alot of music. Again, they stated that there are around four basic Jazz giants that get center stage, I think they were Ellington, Parker, Armstrong and I forgot the other, that get the most of the press with the rest being placed in a secondary "by the way" status. I believe NPR's point was that KB lets his bias show, isn't objective enough and doesn't shed new ground. Anyway, I will watch and judge for myself.
What makes NPR think that documentaries are not works of art themselves? I would expect any author (and I'd probably elevate Burton to autuer) to lace his work with his own persona. I think the problem many may be having here is in confusing documentary film making with journalism, they are different media.
My problem, ultimately comes down to the Burn's formula not working with this particular subject. I found "Civil War" and "Baseball" far more interesting. Jazz, it seems to me, is far to spontaneous, exciting, and creative a subject to be well served by this sanitized format. I tried to like this series, I really did, but I believe historical/social context approach has taken center stage - at the expense of the music. I'm sure there'll be worthwhile segments ahead, but I won't be making a great effort to tune in. But, if it works for you, great.