Perfect Soundtrack for Stylish Sunday Lunch?

As much as I love a wide variety of music, I seem to have great difficulty matching music while entertaining guests.

This weekend, I am hosting a lunch for a few couples, some of whom are visiting from overseas, and I really need to make a good impression.

Perhaps it is because I am more interested in sitting down and really focusing on music than having it in the background, I find this so difficult.

Things that immediately come to mind are usually pretentious, overplayed, distracting and/or just plain wrong -- ie if I showed up at lunch and heard ein klein nachtmusik, the Four Seasons, or Diana Krall, it might put me off my food.

Then again, I dont want some cutting edge, underground, just pirated in from a night club in Paris kind of vibe unless I am intoxicated or non monogamous.

Now I have NEVER tired of late night dinners at Cafe Luxembourg listening to Kind of Blue, but since my house is not off Amsterdam Avenue at 2AM, they might not quite fit either?!

So any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

1:00 PM, in the country, rack of lamb, Bloody Marys, and ______ on the stereo.

Thank you very much.

PS

And maybe an iTunes compilation run through the computer would simplify things as well?
cwlondon
Can't go wrong with Gillian Welch's, "Soul Journey" and "Time (The Revelator)." In my opinion, her work is state-of-the-art Americana, which the overseas friends might like. Or, more mellow, Bill Evans, "Waltz for Debby."
How about some easy, county-blues such as Keb Mo'. Or, go with some funky jazz guitar? My wife used The Montgomery Brothers - "Groove Yard" for a "stylish" event she auction event she put on for the local university.
Good mix for any occassin where conversation should come before entertainment is blues, jazz, Motown with more jazz than blues or Motown. Not distracting but involving and fun with the ability to loosen up stuffed shirts in awkward stituations. Can email a sample of 6hour compilation if your like.

Stloi in the Bloody Marys (not cheap, not stupid expensive, but tasty for a vodka).

Mint relish rather than weird faux-green mint jelly stuff. Much more interesting and tasty.
Big handful of mint and half as much fresh rosemary steeped in 3 cups water. Strain mint/rosemary add 5 cups sugar, one large onion choped small, one large bell pepper choped small, one medium red bell pepper chopped small, one clove garlic minced, couple of grinds 5 pepper blend. Boil for 15 minutes. strain solids for use as relish save liquid for use as jelly on sandwitches and glaze for lamb(add some pectin to solidify).

Bon apetite.
Try this one on for size:

Pat Metheny's soundtrack to the Italian film "Passagio Per Il Paradiso"

Very different from his PMG and solo stuff.

Absolutely beautiful and heartfelt music.

I think it will fit the mood of your gathering perfectly.