Top "covers"

Not talking about album artwork. I'm talking about when one artist records a song previously recorded by another artist. The second artist gives the song his or her own special style and often it turns out better (or more popular) than the original. To keep this manageable, let's limit it to pop/rock (jazz and classical have too many songs that are recorded by many, many performers) and, in keeping with the "top 40" nature of the topic, let's limit it to the last 40 years or so. Here's my list to get the juices flowing:

1. Jimi Hendrix version of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"
2. The Who version of Eddie Cochrane's "Summertime Blues"
3. The Beatles version of the Isley Brothers'"Twist and Shout" (though I believe the IB version may have been a cover, too)
4. Patricia Barber version of Doors' "Light My Fire"
5. The Eagles version of Tom Waits' "Ol' '55"
6. Diana Krall version of Joni Mitchell's "Case of You"
7. CSN&Y version of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock"
8. The Sundays version Rolling Stone's "Wild Horses"
9. The Corrs version of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing" (from their "Unplugged" CD)
10. Many songs by Eva Cassidy, but especially Marvin Gaye's "People Get Ready" (at least I think the original was MG)

I'm looking forward to reading/hearing others' ideas!
dawgfish
bauhaus doing bowie's 'ziggy stardust'
daniel ash doing the beatles' 'daytripper'
bryan ferry doing dylan's 'a hard rains a-gonna fall'
roxy music doing lennon's 'jealous guy'
love and rockets doing pink floyd's (syd barrett's) 'lucifer sam'
luna doing new order/joy division's 'ceremony'
calexico doing love's 'alone again or' (saw 'em do it live - amazing!)
bowie doing the pixies' 'cactus'

i'll post more as i remember 'em
ooh!

the jesus and mary chain doing brian wilson's 'surfin usa' - top notch cover!
Some great suggestions so far. For instance, didn't realize "Black Magic Woman" was a F.Mac song. And bonehead move on my part getting Mayfield and Gay confused. Your ideas have sparked a couple more ideas:

Warren Zevon doing Dylan's "Knocking on Heaven's Door" on his last album (brings tears to your eyes)

Sara K doing "Brick House"

On the post 9/11 benefit concert some Rzeznik (is that the name?) and Limp Bizkit did an amazing "Wish You Were Here"

Yes, doing S&G's "America"

Of course, there's the punk cover of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" -- is it the Sex Pistols?
Post removed