Yes remasters/ HDCD

A number of times on here people have asked about the best sound quality of various Yes albums available on CD.

I have previously reviewed the complete Rhino remasters set on Lugs http://lugsmusicreviews.com.

Last week I at last tracked down a copy of a Japanese import HDCD version of Close To The Edge.
I have to say I was very impressed by the sound quality,it is louder and clearer than the Rhino version-of course I can't state if this is true for every release but I have to say the HDCD versions (remastered by a Japanese gent whose name I don't have at hand) seem the way to go.
These versions unlike the Rhino ones only contain the original track listing.
ben_campbell
I have been seeing them live for ever, and although they are tight, its a different band...some songs are slowed down, Howe isnt as explosive (well, he is older), and the mix even isnt the same...Howe is not at the front of the mix anymore as he used to be...compare the live recordings.
I love how Anderson sounds nowadays.

But Howe is putting much more creative and playing energy on his solo work.
I saw them in 74 in Cleveland at Cleveland Municipal Stadium and then on a recent tour in Columbus Ohio. While the concert had some enjoyable moments that reminded me of the glory days of the 70's I was left disappointed. Jsugo you said it best; it is a different band. Wow, did Steve Howe look frail! But, his playing was masterful. The group lacked the magic of the past, but it was worth it. I would go to see them if they came to Columbus again.
Some of the early posts to this thread mention Close to the Edge; for those of you still playing LPs, the trick is to somehow find the original British press, K50012 on Atlantic. The label has the green and red colors similar to the American press (*not* the orange color found on the later UK pressings). Its really hard to find!!

Plan B is the Mobile Fidelity which is slightly easier to find... In both cases, the pipe organ on side one plays out OK, whereas on every other pressing I have heard the organ is distorted, probably due to tape saturation.
maybe after I get the plum label Fragile, i will look for one,,,thanks for the tip!
this is a little off topic but, 2weeks ago I found a new HDCD by Yes; "Magnification" on a Beyond label. Though not my favorite Yes album, there are some tremendous tracks and the sound quality was/is phenomenal. I love these guys spirit and ability. They are a wonderful creative inspiration.
jb