Smetana Ma Vlast

Which is the best version of this wonderful piece?
Thanks!
linkoping
Well, I would agree that Kubelik's live record on Supraphon is very special indeed, as they were celebrating an occasion, his return to his native land after a forced exile of over 40 years. However, from a recording quality I find it somewhat flat and uneven. There is also Ancerl's 1963 thrilling performance recording on Supraphon and Talich's 1954 version also on Supraphon, but in mono. The last two are considered by many to be the finest. That said....

I really enjoy Mackerras' version with the CPO, also on Supraphon, for both the performance and the recording.

Two other excellent versions - Levine on DG and Inbal on Teldec.

What these versions all share is a fair amount of excitement and feeling of nationalism which is, to me, what this music is all about. I love it!

Now for the adventuresome amoungst you - Ma Vlast, 4 hands version, again on Supraphon. Who could have guessed that this great music could have been sucessfully reduced to piano. Try it.
These guys, Dvorak and Smetana, wrote some great stuff. I first got introduced to them on Lazer Disc.The video just got me hooked to the music.---Too bad these never made it to DVD---or did they??
When I think how few compositions Antonin has;and how great they all are --say compared to guys that have written near a thousand pieces---His 9th, his cello, the Slavonic Dances--Quintet in G op 77--- all near the top as my favs. Seems like he only wrote 'hits'
Avguygeorge, Not to hi-jack a Smetana thread, but as you brought it up......Dvorak's other symphonies are not chopped liver! I enjoy and recommend the entire nine symphonies, but especially 3, 5, 6, 8 and of course 9. The violin concerto, and his symphonic peoms are also not to be missed! And, while we are speaking of Czech, don't over look Suk, Janacek, and Kodaly, just to name a few more.
One other, underrated Ma Vlast is Macal on Telarc with the Milwaukee Symphony; I do like the others mentioned though a little better.

Agree with Newbee, there's a lot of Dvorak that's great music--many of his choral works are excellent, particularly to sing (great four-part men's sections with some nice low notes for us basses), and his concert overtures and tone poems are well worth getting for your collection. Very little that he wrote that I don't like. I'm also a big fan of Suk's music. But Newbee, I thought Kodaly was Hungarian? With a Hungarian choir director, we sing a number of his pieces.
Reprince, You're right of course, I just got carried away...I just love Eastern European music. So much life in it, unlike the more somber stuff from Germany. Just think of the Czech's I didn't include.........:-)
More to discover