How about some slammin' reggae for my N802's....

I just listened to Peter Tosh's - Equal Rights cd today... truly awesome with my new krell 350's. Particulary track 1 -4 were dynamic! Does anyone else know of any great reggae recordings? I've noticed they're not easy to come by. Most of my reggae cd's have a harsh sound.

- josh
goldy
You are right on with the Peter Tosh "Equal Rights".There are a few Bob Marley records that sound really good too. You might want to check out the newest Toots record........... Just awesome.
Midnite, "Ras Mek Peace" Mapleshade CD #MS 06552 sounds great and the music is great too. Sly and Robbie have a fairly recent compilation disc that may be worth checking out as well. "Equal Rights" is one of my favorite lps.
I'm a huge reggae fan and answered a similar thread awhile back. I'll just cut and paste my initial response, although I would add to this list of recommendations nearly any of the Studio One compilations ('Studio One Dub', 'Studio One Soul', 'Studio One Roots', etc.)put out by Soul Jazz records...very, VERY nice collections of vintage reggae groove.

>>>My tastes for reggae generally steer towards older vintage recordings from the late '60's to early 70's with a strong leaning towards the classic dub plates from such masters as King Tubby, Lee Perry, Prince Jammy, etc. One of the things I find most intriguing about reggae is that it's admittedly limited musical structure inherently lends to it's strengths as it is a music revolving around texture, space, and a general feel...a 'vibe' as it were. Any type of 'tune' or song structure is merely a platform for the music to lean on and stretch out to. That said, I would recommend almost anything that Blood & Fire (a recent UK label feverishly devoted to lovingly compiled and remastered vintage reggae recordings) has put out as well as Pressure Sounds, another fine UK label overseen by Adrian Sherwood. Sherwood himself has produced (on his On-U-Sound) label some of the finest modern reggae recordings and done quite a bit to expand the genre with bands like African Head Charge & New Age Steppers who really use the genre of reggae itself as a platform for experimental sound structures...dub for the modern age. Some personal favorites:

Yabby You: 'Jesus Dread'
Burning Spear: 'Social Living' and 'Marcus Garvey'
v/a: 'Roots Techniques' and 'Techniques in Dub'
(comps of recordings by producer Winston Riley)
Jackie Mittoo: 'The Keyboard King of Studio One'
Augustus Pablo: 'East of the River Nile' and 'King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown'
King Tubby & Soul Syndicate: 'Freedom Sounds in
Dub'
The Congos: "Heart of the Congos"
Israel Vibration: "The Same Song"

There's much more stuff out there of course, and a lot I've yet to discover, but there's a few ideas. Don't forget to check out Mr. Marley of course as well as Lee Perry & his productions for the Upsetters and others...the Arkology box set is hard to go wrong with on that end and there are a lot of great compilations out there too.
If you dig into the more recent catalog of On-U-Sound recordings, a good place to start would be with Creation Rebel and Singers & Players with a sidestep into the Dub Syndicate if you want to dig further. Enjoy the sounds...<<<

View the whole original thread here...

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?gmusi&982392469&openusid&zzCenturymantra&4&5#Centurymantra
Two of my favorites: "Reggae Africa" on the Hemisphere label. This is a well-recorded collection of mostly west African Reggae bands that shows how Jamaican Reggae found fertile ground in the polyrhythm of popular African music. Jamaican Reggae sometimes romanticizes life in Africa when in fact the social mesages of hope and social change it contains is something that Africans can relate to. Of this collection Alpha Blondy is the most well known. The others include Harley and the Rasta Family, Koko Dembele, Tangara Speed Ghoda, Senzo, Serges Kassy, Lystrone Koume, Ice T. Cool, P.I. Ray, Solo Jah Gunt, and Ismael Isaac Et Les Freres Keita.

The other is: "Reggae Songbirds 17 Great Tracks from the High Note Label." All songs are from female Reggae vocalists. It's a refreshing angle from traditional Reggae that usually centers on male vocalists.