Phenomenal Classical Recordings

I would like to get a few really great classical recordings in terms of both music and the actual production in either redbook or SACD. Any recommendations to get me going into classical?
maineiac
Rushton nailed it on the head. You need to give us a starting point. This is a huge repertoire you are dealing with.
I would like to be exposed to a cross section so I can learn as much as possible. I have enjoyed Mozart orchestral and concerto recordings. I am not very familiar with chamber music but would like to give it a try. As to my neophyte beginnings, melodic is most likely best. If you may be familiar with Secret Garden's awakening, that includes a violin and piano with orchestra, that is appealing. Thanks for the refinement of the question, I look forward to hearing your advice.
Now, you're talking. I will compile a list for you and will either post it here or email it to you. I'm sure there are many others who will do the same. You will be flooded 8^)
Is your pocket book big enough?
I'll do the same, but let's post the recommendations here for others also beginning to explore classical music.