Favourite Guitar CDs

Can you pls advise ?
Thanks
Tony
128x128tony2704
Christopher Parkening carries on in the Segovia style. I particularly like "simple gifts". Also Julien Bream is another worth a listen in that direction.

Neil Young "Live Rust"
Sonic Youth "Sister"
Richard Thompson "Pour Down Like Silver" (w/ wife Linda)
Television "Marquee Moon"
Jimi Hendrix "Electric Ladyland"
Husker Du "Zen Arcade"
James 'Blood' Ulmer "Odyssey"
Matthew Sweet "Girlfriend"
Archers of Loaf "Vee Vee"
I've only got one of his discs and i'm not that impressed with it, but having seen him play live, i would have to imagine that at least one of the dozen or so releases he has out has got to be pretty good. Who am i talking about ? "Buckethead" of course : )

Honestly though, anybody have any of his releases ? If so, i'd like to hear some suggestions as to what the best that he has to offer would be. The stuff i heard him play and saw him do was pretty phenomenal in both a rockin' / experimental way. He's the kind of guy that can "jam at street level" AND impress a "guitar guru" like Eric Johnson, Satriani, etc... As far as those two go, i'd rather listen to Johnson as Satriani is more "guitar wanking / technique" than "music". As far as that goes, I think that Jeff Beck on a good day blows both of those guys away in both categories ( music & wanking ).

While i think that Jimi was the most innovative / original "rock" guitarist of all time, anyone that wants to know what "metal" guitar sounds like should check out Entombed's "Left Hand Path". Turn it up to "11" and get ready to be "destroyed". If this doesn't make you want to jump around playing air guitar and growl out loud, you're either too old or your stereo sucks : ) Sean
>
Again, Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries is a must. Also,

Dire Staits - Love Over Gold
Carlton/Rittenour - Larry & Lee
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Ronnie Earl, Pink Floyd, SRV - pick one.
Buckethead - Electric Tears
King Crimson - Discipline
Hey Sean, with Buckethead, i'd start w, Praxis Metatron (you can probably get it real cheap at half .com or Django's). For acoustic Buckethead, try Jonas Hellborg/Octave of the Holy Innocents.

There are alot of excellent recordings of guitarists whose work is unique (and not in any way in a competition w/ each other). Players like Allan Holdsworth, Uwe Kropinski, Fred Frith, David Fiuczynski, Terje Rypdal, Peter Wolbrandt, Sonny Sharrock, Michael Karoli, Nels Cline and David Torn to name a few have expanded the vocabulary of the instrument. Listening to these guys til the stuff gets stuck in yer' head really pays off. Anyone who hangs on to the notion that there is one best guitar player is cheating himself and prematurely dismissing alot of great music.