Todays Raido Stations suck

Is it just me, or does todays Radio suck?
When I was a teenager FM was cool, it had laid back D,jays and they played cool new music. That's were I first heard Alex Harvey, Hawkwind,Atomic Rooster,Zappa,The amboy dukes,
Robin Trower,Roxy music,BOC,Captain Beyond,Audience,
Bowie,Steely Dan,etc.

The AM of that day used to be Hit Radio, and played the top hits of the day.

FM today has become Hit radio, with a lot of cookie cutter stations all playing the same old hits, with a few of those old fm classic hits as well.

Does it only bug me, that they only play the one hit off the LP over and over again. When in fact the lp had even better tunes on it, but they never play them.

Recently with the advent of eBay, I have been able to collect a lot of rare and Great music that I never new existed before.

When my friends here the new tunes I have They get the same Idea that I always get, to start a new radio station that plays this unknown treasure. As well as the songs like "Candys gone bad" off of the Golden Earring lp with Radar love on it, you know the one.

You know what I'm talking about, am I alone here.

I must state that I live in a smaller town now, but we can still pick up the Jacksonville Florida stations.
Does this kind of practice go on all over the country?

The new music of today no longer interests me with Rap and the Rock of today all sounds the same, with only minor exceptions like Radiohead.

WHAT do you think, is their some stations that I could pickup on the internet that would satisfy my craving?

would you like to be able to get in you car and tune the radio to a station like the one I described?

128x128rockinroni
Mezmo, I don't know what type of music you like, but when I lived in NYC and on LI (48 years), I listened to college radio since the mid-seventies and there were many to choose from. My favorites are WNYU 89.1 and WUSB 90.1. I believe they couldn't be received thru your (tv)cable however. I moved to Melbourne, Fl 2 years ago and this place is barren wasteland. The local college station WFIT changed their format to smooth jazz a few years ago from what I was listening to up north, (winter vacation the last 11 years down here so I've heard the downhill direction of this station). Meet one of the DJ's who now owns a underground cd store but it still isn't like NYC. Amen for audio streaming.
Most stations do suck today. Too many ads and yes, the same songs over and over and over, and yes, there are better songs on those albums. Today's stations are geared toward pigeon-holing listeners into neat demographics for selling commercials. However, in the Bay area we have KFOG which is pretty good, at least they do have some variety. I like our local college station too. I used to like our local classical station, but lately it's ad after ad after ad, and they seem to play the same stuff over and over, comparable to the replay of the "top 40" of classical. Ugh!
Radio definitely sucks. One decent alternative is the Americana music channel on DirecTV. Sound is okay, but the great part is that they play music that cannot be found on the radio. It has introduced me to a number of singers/bands that I would not have heard otherwise.
I have a great radio station for you to listen to on the web. wdetfm.org

when they play music they play everything.

check them out from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm est mon-fri

they play jazz every night from 7- 10 and have other special programs as well.

This is where I first heard Morphine, Aztek, Ben Harper, and Blind Boys of Alabama just to name a few.

Even when I can not listen to the station often I will check out their playlists to know what I should try to listen to.
Ah yes, radio is like anything else, money talks. We live in a world of mergers and comglomerates where huge profitability is paramount and all things that don't fit nicely into the corporate concieved mainstream are increasingly harder to come by. That is why recording artists who are deemed not a good comercial prospect can't even get a recording contract or are told exactly what to write to be signed. For example many years ago a group called "The Crackers" signed a contract and recorded their first album. The company decided it didn't like the name "The Crackers". The album was released and the group wasn't informed by the company that the company had changed the groups name until the day before the release.The album's title is "Music From Big Pink",you know the rest of the story. Cheers, Lee