No Stairway and no Free bird.. please...

Hello Audiogoners I would like to hear your input...

Im starting a new band (i play six string)and plan on doing some originals but mostly cover tunes with the new band.. I Finally found another really good bass player (After the
first practice he asked me if i burned?) Geez..I hope i can keep this one out of jail :-) I said no but talk to the drummer... You know drummers. We have already been asked to play few gigs and we dont even have a vocalist yet.. this
is gonna be intresting.

Anyway this is just for fun and we will be playing some local clubs, large parties and watering holes.

I told the rest of the guys in the band to pick 3 covers:

The drummer says:

Jimmy hendrix- Red house, I say great!
Jimmy hendrix- Voodoochile, I say great!
Stevie Ray- Texas flood, I say great!

Bass players says:

Slayer- not sure which song yet but i said ok but
if doesnt go over well he's gonna have to pick
something else.

Primus- Same thing.

Rage against the Macine- Yes i agree!

My picks:

Alice in chains- Would
Rage against the machine- Killing in the name
Steve vai- For the love of god

Were going to need quite a few more.. I would love to
hear from some of you guys/gals on this.

Any suggestions?
voodoochile
Viridian,

Its funny you brought up that joke... Thats
a good one i saw on another thread not that long ago.
The bass player is very very good but he is a little out there.. And i probably will have to negotiate some food into gig compensation for him. I just want beer... and
chicks :-)I think Black magic woman would be pretty cool
to do. I dont do drugs so i dont know if i can pull off any Stones/Keith Richards?

Jeff,

Im a huge Rage fan also... So is the drummer so were probably going to work on a few more. I like all the
ones you listed plus i really like the one from the
Gozzilla soundtrack "No Shelter" is a really cool song.
I havent heard Zach's new release yet but im sure its really cool. I think the RHCP's is an execellent pick.
The bass player can easily pull it off.. He is the best i have seen in a awhile. No vocalist yet but pretty soon.

If you think of any others please keep em coming!
When you're up to it, try "Funk 49," "Gimme Three Steps," and "Rock And Roll Band" - by The James Gang, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Boston. You might not particularly like them, but I'll guaranasstee 'ya the audience will. :-)

Just a cover band guy gettin' older,
Ed
Whats wrong with slayer? I never ever thought i'd see that band talked about on this site. Bravo! I don't know if you guys can keep up with the bass player LOL.
Good luck guys.
My three picks would be:

"Somewhere over the Rainbow", an orchestrated version
"Ghost Rider's in the Sky"
"Caravan" -w- a drum sola (gotta have the drum sola)
Ed,

I hear you... I know im gonna have to sneak in
some classic rock that the girls can dance too..

I think Gimme three steps would be a good one.

Anyone else think of any good classic rock people can
dance too?

Tommy,

I knew there were some people around here that like that
stuff. I love Slayer and many other faster bands im just not sure if the crowd will.. Im gonna try to keep up with the bass player he shredds pretty good... I think its
gonna work out real well.

Do you like Testament? Im pretty good friends with the singer.. I used to play with them back in high school.

Dekay,

Your killin me... Now how are we supposed to maintain a good mosh pit with those picks?