What's your latest "Discovery"

You know when you buy a new album and it just clicks?! And then you have to play it rather frequently in the mix over and over for the next several days....What's the last album's you bought that really clicked for you?

I just picked up a Jazz trio album that is just a wonderful recording and performance:

It's called "Achirana" on ECM (that label seems to have a lot of great discs!). Vassilis Tsabroplulos, Piano. Arild Andersen, Double-Bass. John Marshall, Drums. Love the 5th cut! That double bass is right there in the room!

Also been enjoying a new classical guitar disc: Julian Bream, "The Ultimate Guitar Collection" on BMG. Great double-disc set. Not that crazy about the recording on this one, but the performance and breadth of the tapestry of work on those two CD's is remarkable.

Any new "discoveries" to share?
jax2
"In Touch", Ray Holman, Ramajay Records... A very well recorded blend of steel pan and more traditional jazz instruments, this is for anyone with an interest or curiosity about steel pan music.
Hi Marco, nice to see that you are still around. I haven't seen any posts of you
lately.

I really love this thread. Nice to see that it got revived again. Thanks for your
new suggestions, I will have to check out the Chemirani Trio's CD. I am
always looking for new Middle Eastern and Indian classical music. Another
Indian classical musician I can recommend to you is Amjad Ali Khan. I saw
him live here in ABQ with his two sons, which are both playing Sarod as well.
Amazing concert.

Also another CD I have to pick up sometime is: Jim White "Drill A Hole In That
Substrate And Tell Me What You See". I have been hearing the single "Static
On The Radio" a few times on Radio Free Santa Fe, and it got really stuck in
my head.

And yes the new Waits is pretty good. Although I am still more a fan of his
older records. I just really like the story telling in his older albums (Closing
Time, Heart of Saturday Night). I really enjoyed his early years albums as well,
which offer prerelease versions of his songs. Only Tom and himself in very
intimate recordings. On the other hand I am looking forward to a stage show
of Black Rider next Saturday in Calgary (even if Tom won't be there).

Hope to hear more suggestions here...

Rene
Hey Rene - Nice of you to notice...I have not had much time to post recently because we've been working on a major renovation of our house since August 1 (actually well before, but the pros took over then). Anyone who's been through a major renovation will understand the lack of time. I've actually taken on a lot of my own work along with the subs, trying to keep pace with the demand of the pros. Up untill a few weeks ago when the drywall started, we were living in our house the entire time. Fun, stressful...like standing in a cold shower with your wife and tearing up five-hundred dollar bills.

I didn't know Jim White had a new release out. I loved the previous one and if you have not heard it, definitely pick it up. I think the title is "No Such Place". His new title is hilarious! If you like White you may also enjoy Robert Earl Keen.

I will check out Ali Khan. My Iranian friend has introduced me to some really wonderful Persian music. I recently did a photo shoot for a local concert for a very gifted Oud player named Hossein Omoumi. The CD available here of his is very beautiful, but not for everyone. It is quite a meloncholy instrument, especially played solo as it is on this CD.

I do wish Waits performed himself more often. The last concert here in Seattle was in the 90's I think. It sold out faster than any concert in history as I recall from the radio. I also enjoy the early work, but my personal favorites are from the Swordfishtrombone - Rain Dogs phase where he began collaborating with his wife.

Back to work!

Marco
Mindy Smith, Gomez, Wilco, Jerry Garcia acoustic catelog with Dave G...???
Larry Coryell Tricyles: his constant back & forth btwn fusion and st ahead jazz finally merges well in this trio format
Vital Information: Where Do We Come From: shows that all is not lost in fusion
Mofro: Lochloosa: incredible! southern funk from white boys, mostly acoustic
Jon Cleary: keyboardist for Bonnie Raitt: down & earthy r&b, funk, jazz
Madeline Peyroux: Besse Smith soundalike but not just imitation: puts Norah Jones to shame in a big way
Junior Brown: country music meets Hendrix!