Copy-protected CDs - philosophical discussion

My previous copy-protection thread probably deserves a follow-up since the issue is just as troubling ethically/legally/philosophically as it is technically.

Record companies are selling CDs which do not play on a PC's CD player. However, the CDs are not identified as such and, according to at least one source, may have trouble playing on high-end systems and car CD players.

Here's the news story:
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6604222.html

Here's an unofficial list of copy-protected CDs, authored by a guy whose opinion on the matter should be quite obvious:
http://fatchucks.com/corruptcds/corrupt.html

Reserving the technical discussion and "can you actually hear it" discussions for my previous thread, what are your feelings on the softer side of this issue, especially given the vast amount of software that we collectively gave/received over the past couple of weeks?

Don't hold back, now!

FWIW, my take is that this is just another case of technology scaring the crap out of a lumbering entrenched industry with severely dated business models because the geeks are infinitely smarter and more creative than the suits can ever hope to be. Just like the lawsuit against Napster, it may succeed in its immediate goal (for a month or so), but misses the real point completely. Alienating customers who are not criminals is bad business. For many of us Audiogoners, I imagine the presence of "all but inaudible" distortion on a recording is reason enough to avoid it like the plague. The music business is not about “clicks and pops”; it's about music.
powerste
Kelly, we'll light the torches, you lead the way !

(Joel, the store OWNER might know, but tell me when was the last time that you asked a question to an employee and got any more than a shoulder shirk and a huh?)
I will probably draw much wrath with this response, but here goes: I understand what the major labels are trying to do, is to protect their financial interest and, yeah, even throw the artists a penny or two. My older brother, 50, was very proud telling me one day that the CD I loaned him, The Fairfield Four - "Standing in the Safety Zone" (very good recording by the way, that bass voice can go so low and actually have a definite pitch, he can hit notes I can't even croak in a whisper) was the most popular CD to be burned/copied in the Firehouse (yes, he's a fireman) - 21 times!! I wanted to strangle him. And this is just one instance in one small city in the laid-back state of Iowa. What goes on in New York, California, etc?

Yes, I can see protecting your interests, but not to the point of potentially ruining product for others and, then, being sneaky enough to not tell anyone which are coded and which are not.

They have fallen to a new low.

Todd
Todd you can't be blamed for your brothers act's, if I where held accountable for my brothers doings I would be in jail. I want nothing to do with 'burned' disks its just nothing I want to risk, why spend 10's of thousands of dollars(on the system) and risk it with a comprimised recording to save $10. I don't get it! Sure if the low-lifes want to try and record music that is there business(well in fact I don't think it could be further from there business, but you get the hint), they can enjoy there lives in there trailers, listening to there lower then bose systems, eating there spam, drinking there 1 gallon vats of wine(on sale for $3.99), each to his own. Those who enjoy the finer things in life, appreciate the level of refinement that thrifty-ness can never buy, I think most of us discern the differences rapidly, an astute look upon life, which money doesn't buy-don't confuse class and money, the two seldom go hand and hand. Well I suppose that is enough of a rant, sorry I just got home and dealt with too many less then scrupulous individuals and am nearing my threshold of peoples ignorance. Then top it all off with a little bit of cut-throat mega-corporation America, it is such a pleasant mix.
If I owned a record company I would want my product copy protected. I would never sell the product, I would only license it. The encoding/license agreement would be so strict that the disc, or digital file, would only work on a single digital playback device. If you wanted a copy for your car or for a second system, you'd have to buy another copy of the product. Such a drastic system is the only way to totally protect the rights of the owners. In return for such the complete protection of my artistic/capitalistic interest, I would charge a nominal fee for the use of the music product, say - $2.00/each. At two bucks a drop any law abiding person won't complain.

Regarding sound quality issues - who cares? Yeah, I'm sure there's some less than 1%er type with a mega-buck system would will truly notice the sonic degradation, but my marketing people have told me that those people don't buy much music.
Marketing people? Doncha know that there's a two drink minimum to work in marketing? You really BELIEVE what a marketing person tells you? Don't get me wrong, some of my "best" friends are in marketing ;-}