Your First System

This should be good!!! Most of us have been in this expensive hobby for years now and have worked our way up to components we only dreamed of. I want to know what was your first system of separate components going back as far as you can remember. My first consisted of a Pioneer SX-680 receiver, a Technics SLD-1 turntable (I think that's the right model #), a Sharp tapedeck, and KLH floorstanding speakers. I was 16 at the time and thought I was the biggest badass on the block. Now, 20+ years later I have a ML 334, Meridian 507 CD, CJ PV10A, Canton Ergo 900 speakers, and a Transparent Power Isolator 4. I'm in the process of upgrading to a ML 390. It goes without saying the IC's and speaker cables are top notch as well. I know my system is WAAAYYYYY down the foodchain compared to what I've seen here but It would be interesting to see what everyone started out with.
pcook15
Pioneer 8 Track with matching speakers from 1973. Listened to this to death. In college, my Dad got me a pair of pro JBL monitors matched to a Dynaco Amp and a pro Sony cassette deck.
Around 1970, Sansui 3000A receiver, speakers were various drivers thrown together, turntable was an early Bogen, with a hand-made tonearm that would really get a good laugh if seen today. I forget which coins were used to balance the arm, front and rear. Counterweight was a mass of wood, hand carved, as was the head shell. There was no anti-skating. Cartridge was a Shure that cost around $19. I got the turntable from a friend who upgraded to a Lenco. Lamp cord for speaker wire. I was in heaven!
Late 1980s - Bare bones Technics receiver, Kenwood CD player, and Bose 201s.... ugh. I could have chosen some Baby Advents instead of the Bose... what was I thinking!?
1976, I was in the Army stationed at Augsburg,Germany.We got great deals through the PX. My system was a Marantz integrated(forgot model),Pioneer CTF 9191 cassette deck(huge), Dokorder 10 1/2" open reel recorder(would die to have this back), Technics belt drive turntable and Sansui "Super 16" speakers(loud). I sold this system in 1982(needed money) and did the low-fi thing for years,sad but true. Just got back into good equipment and I am having a blast !!!
1970, I was 15 years old, had a Dynaco ST-70, REK-o-CUT player with GE cartridge, an old Zenith tube pre-amp, Viking tube reel to reel, and an 8 track deck, home built base reflex Electro-voice LS-15 full range wolverine. I also had a large stack of records for 15 since every $ went to records. I got most of the equipment from my Fathers recording studio equipment no longer used or needed. I payed about $35 for each speaker. Lots of deep purple, led zep, mountain, stuff like that. I was 15. Now it's ARC, Vandersteen, SOTA.