Which Solid State Amplifier is Making you Happy?

I'm trying to find a new amplifier to replace a Musical Fidelity A3CR. There are lots of candidates: Rowland 501s, Pass Labs 350.5, Levinson 431/432, H2O, etc. What are people using and what has been a good sonic investment? I'm currently driving B&W N803s, so it's a pretty normal load. My MF amp does not offer enough punch or bass control. It flattens out at higher volumes. I'll spend what it takes, new or used. Less than $8K would be nice. All comments welcome.
Peter
pscialli
Fplanner -- Just curious as I too am in the market for an amp in this category, are you referring to the Halo JC-1's that you compared your DNA500 to?

For what it's worth, I think I've got my selection narrowed down to the PASS 250.5, Mc DNA500, and the Gamut D200III. Hope to audition the Gamut in the next few days. Will post my impressions...

Anyone care to comment on the above 3 amps?
I am pretty happy with my venerable Classe'Twenty-Five driving my Maggie 3.6R's. Plenty of power and punch(500wpc into 4 ohms). Transparent enough to reveal whatever changes you make in the front end. Available used from time to time for about $1250. A real bargain if you ask me. If you want to spend some bucks, 8k will get you a new pair of BEL 1001 MkV's or you might find a used set of Theta Citadels.
I heard the Rowland 501's and to my ears, they didn't have quite the "involvement" of the DNA. The Halos were also very good, but again, to my ears, didn't quite have the breadth of soundstage or smooth intimacy as the DNA. Please note that I didn't spend HOURs on these comparisons and this wasn't at all a "scientific"-type comparison. I posted this info just as an aid to others who might be considering 1 of these brands - certainly NOT to start a huge discussion or uproar. There are obviously many models from all these brands that have their own unique characteristics and when you are in this price range, they all sound good - its just what sounds best in your system to your ears.
Thanks for understanding.
FPlanner, I am not surprised about your Rowland 501 findings. I heard the 201 and found it it delicate but slightly surfacy.