Supratek Tubes and Tube Swappin' for Everybody

I will have a Supratek Chenin in my set up in a day or so. Since so many folks are rolling tubes around here I was hoping to garner a comprehensive list of everybodies favorite tube compliments. Be it NOS or NIB or WLATB (Whatever's layin around the basement)
Being that the "Deal of the Century" thread is a little more like a novel I figured this would be a good place to post questions and answers related to one subject of Supratek amps and pres.
On to the subject of me. I don't have immediate plans to swap tubes as I've figured that Mr. Maloney would supply us with something listenable for the break in period. But, since so many have reported such dramatic improvments I want to ask this question:
What is your favorite compliment for quietest gain and dynamics in the phono stage?
I will be using the Chenin exclusively for vinyl ( I don't have a CD player) and listen to loads of early rock and roll and Jazz bands, smaller jazz bands mostly, quartets and quintets. Some classical, the usual Beethoven and Mozart, but usually just a lot of loud garage rock.
Ok, now lets see what happens.
mc5baby
Larry,
Actually not yet as I'm playing with a pair of Emission Labs 45 mesh plates for a few weeks. They are much sweeter and far less microphonic than the PX/4. I'm saving the WE for the holidays. :-)))))

Wc65Mustang,
I am getting an incredible amount of microphonics. If I tap the volume and channel control knobs in the front of pre-box (as well as any tube in the pre-box or top plate of the box), I get huge ringing through the speakers. If the system is up but nothing playing on the TT or CD player and I clap my hands or speak loudly, I get ringing and microphonics through the speakers.
The Grange came from Mick with the TJ PX4's and a pair of TJ 300B/n's. I just dropped the 300b’s for the first time and seem to have the same high level of microphonics.
Did you get the same level of Microphonics from the TJ 300B’s as you did with the PX4’s.
I have a few Herbie’s tube dampeners on the 6SN7’s, 6922’s and E180F’s, but not the PX4’s or the 300b’s nor any of the power supply tubes. Have you had any luck with tube dampeners.
David, please feel free to jump in here.
Thanks / Rgds,
Larry
Hey Larry, Congrats on the grange,I'm very jealous. I am still contemplating ordering one myself, as I have been a big fan of DHT amplification for years. My experience with the 45,2a3,300b,845 triodes etc is that they all seem to possess a certain soul,a righteousness if you will,a purity of sound that is hard to describe.Having the abilty to tune ones preamp with the soul of these various DHT triodes has got to be the ultimate front end. Kudos to the brilliance of Mick for pushing the envelope here.I am sure either choice of the various DTH triodes will sound fabulous but I have a sneaky suspician the natural beauty of WE 300b or a nos 45 will end up as the tube of choice here. Mustang..... sounds like your going to have an exciting Christmas holiday and I am eager to hear your thoughts on the voice of the different tubes in the mighty Grange.I am not at all surprised that some of you guy's are finding the mesh plate tube types to be microphonic.Most mesh plate type tubes are prone to microphonic by design.
Hi Larry, I read your last post just after I posted mine. I have to go to a hockey game and will get back a little later.
Larry,
I use Herbie's on all of my signal tubes except the 45 mesh plates. Although my preamp is equipped to run 300B, I have not tried them yet so I can't answer your question. As I posted prior, the 45's are much less microphonic than the PX/4 which I never plan to use again. No dampers in the power supply as there is no need.
I do not use 6SN7 as Mick's personal choice is the 76 in that position. I replaced the stock 76 with a pair of 1942 RCA VT-37 which made a significant improvement in the mids.
I took Whoopadeedoo's advice and ordered a pair of the special Russian 6H30 yesterday.
To address your first concern, yes there is a fair amount of microphonics with this preamplifier; it's the price we pay for greatness. Believe it or not the best device I've used and settled on is one of those Gingko rubber ball platforms. I tried cones, roller bearings, and Symposium but for this particular application the Gingko works the best. Give it a shot; they offer a money back guarantee. You'll need the Cloud 11 which is the larger version of the Cloud 10.