Ayre V-5x vs. McCormack DNA 225

Looking to upgrade and have narrowed choices to the 5x and 225. Anyone compared the two, what are your thoughts? Thanks.
dumboatc8da
If you want a slightly forward sounding amp with a lot of drive, the McCormack is it. It is not as refined as the Ayre nor is it as liquid sounding. The Ayre soundstage is also considerably better with more depth and a quieter background.
The McCormack amps are better in the bass than the Ayre with the latter sounding a little lightweight in comparison.
The McCormack amp is a good one. However, the Ayre is just flat out better sounding through the mids not having that very slight touch of grain the McCormack has.
I use the Ayre with Vandersteen 3A Signatures. The Ayre really works well with phase and time correct speakers. I also use a pair of 2Wq subs that render the slight lightweight bass of the Ayre a moot point.
May I also suggest you listen to the Belles 350a and 150a Reference amps. Both are better sounding than the 225 by a good margin. I also think a tube pre works best with the McCormack.
I personally don't think the Ayre provides more than a very marginally larger soundstage nor a quieter background than the 225, in my experience. I've also heard the 225 and the 350a in the exact same system and I beg to differ. In fact, I thought the 225 had much greater control. This IMHO, and all that. :-) Agree, though, that the 225 works very well with a tube pre, but a finely stepped attenuator is crucial.
I agree with 4yanx, the McCormack is the better amp. Always...IMO pick the amp that does the most things right.

Dave