Looking for advice on amp/pre amps...

Hi all, i'm new to Audiogon and i LOVE it! I'm looking for advice on amps/preamps. I can spend in the $2k price range, maybe more. I listen to all types of music, mostly pop/rock. I'm looking to power my Paradigm Studio 100's. I have little to no knowledge on this subject, but am willing to do research and take advice. I'm going to listen to CD's and watch movies and would like to have a nice surround sound set up. I guess thats all, please help! thx, Bob
nerd65
Sorry, i forgot to mention my goal with the system is mainly listening to music, then movies. I'm more concerned with how my music sounds than if bullets seem to be coming from all directions. Don't get me wrong, i love movies, its just if i have to pick one or the other i'm more concerned with its definitly the music.
Look for Sean,or the audioengr guy on this site,they are real knowledgeable,good luck,Bob
The NAD T163 (notT197) retails for 1,499. It gives you lots of flexability which you may need plus all of the latest and greatest.
The Parasound A52 retails for 2,000 and is a beefy 5ch amp.
The Parasound A23 retails for 850 and is a 2ch amp almost identical to the A52 but just a little better (higher amperage output, 2ch share one power supply rather than 5ch).
The combination of the above three units for 4k would be a standard discount from a retailer. The 10 year Parasound warranty has given me great peace of mind though I have never needed to use it.
Also Lexicon has a bare bones version of the MC-8 called the MC-4 for 4,500 retail.
Good luck.
Hi all! I first want to say thank you to all who responded so far and especially to Usblues for suggesting I talk to audioengr. I can't thank audioengr enough for his help and suggestions.

This is what i've come up with after listening to many amps over a short period of time. JC-1's in a word...awesome! I can't believe that after the break in period and audioengr's mods that they can sound even better. WOW! I tested Arcam, Anthem, Carver and Parasounds. Once i tested the JC-1's i knew that was what i was looking for.

Here is my goal for my system, please feel free to comment/advise/pickapart/help/whatever. I really appreciate all the comments good and bad. Here goes...

Amp - JC-1's(eventually with audioengr's mods)

Preamp - SAS(considering Krell KAV-280p, help on this one since i'll need one with assignable unity gain)

CD/DVD Transport - Sony DVP-s7700(with audioengr's mods, not concerned at this point with SACD)

DAC - P-3A Perpetual Technologies

Speakers - Paradigm studio 100 vs2(i just love these speakers)

Line conditioner - AudoLineSource RGPC-1200's conditioner/power distribution

AnalysisPlus interconnects and powercords

Well thats the shopping list so far, its not set in stone except for the JC-1's and Paradigms. Comments welcome. Thx so much again, Bob