Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Hey Guys,

I have been super busy at work and have not had a lot time to write but my M1 is starting to break in real nicely an it keeps getting better and better. I promise when I get some time I will get to the proper analysis of the 2 DACS like I said I would but a fellow member reached out to me that currently owns a DirectStream and has been strongly considering the M1 and I emailed him some of my thoughts on it so due to my lack of time I thought I would share some exerts of the email with you guys for now until I get some time to do a proper write up:

March 11, 2015 4:04pm
Curious as to how they compare in the following areas :
Bass, Soundstage, and detail. ..are they night and day differences? Thanks for your time!

March 13, 2015 7:10am
Hey there,

Sorry been crazy busy and I typed a real nice response which took me a while and I really got into both the differences but accidentally hit the back button on my laptop when typing and lost it all. Ugghh...

The difference between these DACS is quite large. Their perspectives and their specific characters are very different. A much shorter version of what I wrote to you earlier initially speaks to the details and the sound stage which I think really is where the main difference takes place.

The DS has great detail and fleshes out many of the fine details in the music and I found it far superior to all the other DACs and CD players I heard before it and some were very good in deed but compared to the Bricasti the differences become a quite apparent. I think this is where some of the bright and/or over analytic criticism gets pointed at the DS. I loved the DAC and would have argued to the bone that no way it was a bright DAC but when compared to the Bricasti I can now see what those people were saying as everything in life is relative it just matters about from what perspective your viewing it from.

The reason I think, is that with the Bricasti within the sound stage its finite details are firmly fastened to the images specificity and you can clearly hear its detail origin very specific to the specific instrument and musician which lends to highlighting its haunting separation and integrating it with the whole of the entire musical flow and this can be a tough balancing act for many and where the Bricasti is far superior in this effect it is within this scope that lays a sort of force multiplier effect throughout the rest of the spectrum that gives it a mighty advantage. This is so superior to the DS and all the others that I have heard! It is errie like yet warm and inviting. An odd and intoxicating combination. Even with this bass, the DS has a robust and detailed bass that I was very pleased with but the Bricasti Bass is so much more layered and can be heard much more specifically to the specific instruments. The guitar stringing becomes more striking and full, the drums are starting and you feel the strike but more impressible is the long and true decay. The brash horns are biting yet warm and this bass is full nuanced and layered yet still robust but much tighter. Not as round but every-bit as low and even stronger yet quite different. It's more sophisticated and has a strutting like quality of confidence. It works from a more delineated and image specific bass that builds a more robust foundation to tightly work on up to the mid bass to mids or down. It is such an advantage it almost feel like its cheating. Kind of like a super fast runner that is moving so much faster than others but without even trying. Just a more natural and fluid gifted strut that it seems unfair. This carries right on down to the low stuff as well. The High seem delicate yet better extended with a sheen smoothness that just keeps going...It just has such a more relaxed and confident demeanor that it struts its robust, warm and dynamic self with such ease and elegance that its almost arrogant and exhumes class and prominent grooming and breeding. Please understand the DS is very nice DAC that I enjoyed mightily but my music world was changed more by the Bricasti then any other component/speaker or anything in Audio and I never would have expected this type of increase over what I thought already was an amazing DAC. It's funny how someones perspective can so radically change almost overnight. Hope this is info id helpful to you :)

Very happy for you, FSmithjack.
And if I am ever stricken with acute foot-in-mouth disease to say something silly like "The Bricasti separates the boys from the men", I know I will get some serious s@#* from all the diehard DS fans out there. And so, restrained, I shall remain.
Hey Jon2020

If you have read the tread through as I think a lot of the DS folks have you will see I have spoke to how great the DS is and how much I loved it. These DS fans are awesome as I was a card caring one myself for a long time going from the MKI to MKII to DS then all the DS upgrades. I liked all the DS upgrades a lot but can see how some would prefer different versions for sure. I am sure if someone started a thread about a DAC almost twice as much as the Bricasti I wouldn't be offended because when you pay that much more heck it should be better but that isn't always the case and was sort of where this thread started. I was a DS owner when I started this thread. The DS blows away everything in its price range and many much more expensive ones as well so no speaking out of school there...
Guys a point about the transport I wanted share.

I went with the recommendation that I got on this thread that improving the transport will provide a huge upgrade and can sometimes be as important or in some cases more important than the DAC.

Well I wanted to try a reasonable price thing first as I spend most all my audio funds upgrading from the DS to the Bricasti but i bought the SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server to lower noise from the usb interface and was hoping for a SQ improvement.

No go. Not sure why but my pc to DAC via my killer usb cable was much better than the SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server. I tried hard to like the SOtM but the pc to dac was better? I assume because the Bricasti usb interface is really good and my usb cable does a nice job helping out as well.

Now I was thinking of buying the SOtM usb card or maybe the JCAT one or do you guy know a better one. I am sure CAPS server would better but don't quite have that money yet unless someone builds them via DIY or has a used one or something. That would be amazing would love to hear from you. Want to stick with usb because i love the sound my usb cable has. Thanks and please I am just learning about the computer / transport side so would love as much feedback about this stuff as I can get and other reader will benefit as well as we are approaching 10,000 folks that are reading this thread. Thanks
Jon2020,

How does the Bricasti separate the boys from the men? Details please?