Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Fsmithjack,

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize this about Mcondon. Just as the Bricasti software improves its level so too does the software for the DS DAC. I am sure there will be improvements with DAC technology in the future, just as there have been in recent years. I am not on an endless quest. I have drawn the line in the sand except for room treatments and one other element. With my system at a very high level I see no need to keep on the treadmill anymore. I am very satisfied with what I have now.

I'll be interested in hearing your observations about the DS DAC vs. the Bricasti. I am very happy with my DS DAC and my system. I will not be selling it. I do my own DIY things and they elevate the system to a much higher level. This is the best bang for my audio buck at the present time. Buying a new component can improve SQ parameters but I achieve a lot with room treatments. I have enough detail, transparency, etc. with my system. I concentrate on sound stage and imagining with room treatments.
Aolmrd1241,

Pike's Peak is not as good as 1.2.1 in my system. Perhaps future versions will produce a better result for me.
OK guys, lets stir the pot here a bit...

I think to criticize the RESALE and/or rather currently heavily advertised discounts on a NEW or DEALER DEMO PS Audio DirectStream DAC is a “VERY” valid point and this really deserves to be talked about and brought to light.

The RESALE is a HUGE problem with the PS Audio DirectStream DAC and especially for the guys that committed to the Brand and were one of the earlier purchasers that paid the retail or close to iy on these. Ouch…

I am glad someone else brought this up and stated it because my goal when I started this post was not to criticize either brand or product. Rather it was too honestly and candidly share and speak about my personal experiences and opinions about them and to ask for feedback and sharing from my fellow Audiogon members. This so we can all compare and talk about the Bricasti M1 DAC and the PS Audio DirectStream DAC and all that is associated with their brands and the specific products and the dynamics associated with them. The resale conversation is super relevant.

People considering either of these DAC’s may read this post and IMO resale is an important aspect in the decision making process and I think with regard to the PS Audio DirectStream DAC it is a huge detriment to a potential buyer in some ways.

I am not speaking out of school here or taking unfair shots at PS Audio because I love their DAC and personally I have found their products to be outstanding. I have owned many of their products and have invested thousands upon thousands of hard earned dollars in their products. I always found them to be very well built and they performed at a very high level and I found they’re customer service to always be outstanding. They are a great American HI-Fi company and I am a fan of their products and their company but they are not above reproach as are any of us and in this regard they have some well deserved criticism coming their way.

As a buyer of a PS Audio DirectStream DAC and a former owner of one I was quite disappointed with PS Audio’s wanting to make every last red cent possible with their General Motors volume approach of making way more than the current demand and flooding the market and then having/allowing/encouraging dealers to get into these huge discounts to move them. This is a shame as the product is so good and it would have sold briskly in an organic manor without really hurting their current owners by driving down the prices and in effect the resale with this what I see as a selfish approach to squeezing ever last dollar. This is the High-End and it is supposed to different from the big box, mass retailers and they have every right to make money and they should make money and as much as they can I have no problem with that but like anything in life there is a line and in my opinion they went way over it and the proof is in the numbers. These things are everywhere more than any other thing in all of High End Audio. Everywhere…..

Part of the reason I think this criticism hasn't been louder is because they have done a great job at adding value and with the mad scientist Ted providing these excellent updates and making the products better and better. I thinks is a riot that they call the upgrades “Free”…lol. They have done an outstanding job improving the DAC and they deserve credit for this.

OK let’s talk turkey about resale. The PS Audio is so much better than what other DACs in its "NEW" price range go for out there so it should hold up ok for a while unless there ends up being just to many out there no matter how good it is the prices will just drop. Simple supply dominant 101 stuff and this may or may not happen but it is something that should be thought about based on how they have been going so far it’s not an unfair thing or stretch to talk about.

These were $5,999 DACs and they are easily good enough to be $5,999 DAC’s but now with a saturated market in say the last 3-6 months give or take after the release of this strong companies best product ever they are already being offered for ‘around” $3,800.00 new/demo from actual PS Audio Dealers. That is not a good thing. One of the reasons I jumped ship while they are still hot. This is a lot of money and I love growing my system but I try to be smart with my HI-FI funds also. You have to so some digging but they are out there for this low range and you can find them regularly in the lower $4,000's.

Really I am not taking needless shots at PS Audio I am calling them like I see them but when I started trying to trade my DAC and talking to dealers of other brands it kind of opened my eyes. I was kind of a blind believer in Paul and Ted combo and was kind of naïve to how other folks out there were looking at it.

Now the sword cuts both ways and this could be a GREAT thing for you. It is an amazing DAC and in that high $3k range to the low to $4k range nothing can touch it. It is that good. Trust me if you have that money to spend you will be blown away. Compare it to others and you will be super happy other than to say it is a pain in the neck to break in and takes much longer than other DAC’s but it is worth the wait! This DAC at these prices should hold their value ok relative to this new lower price but man there are a lot of them out there and at what point is it too many. I didn't want to wait around to find out but man it is a great sounding piece that they are committed to improving along the way so it is up to you to decide. I made my choice!
This is the problem you get when there is a lot of margin in a product so the Distributor and Dealer get a big cut. They can do big discounts and still make money. I don't have this problem. If my Overdrive SE was sold through dealers, it would cost north of $15K. Unlikely that any of my stuff will ever even be sold through online magazines. Direct selling is a great advantage for the buyer. Used Overdrives go for around $5500 and the new price is $6400. People have to get used to the fact that I don't generally discount. Once the have the product they realize what a great value it is and don't expect discounts from me anymore. I have a different business model and I'm sticking to it. I don't give a rip how other companies do it.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
From my perspective, I'm not concerned at all with resale value of the Directstream. I don't intend to sell mine, at least not for a long while.